MyDellMini Forum

MyDellMini Forum (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/general-discussion/2295-dell-now-charges-30-alpine-white.html)

frank 01-09-2009 04:38 PM

Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White

Went to dell.com to check out exactly how cheap a 64GB SSD model can be bought for, and I noticed Dell has started charging a $30 premium for white models! WTF?

ArKay 01-12-2009 02:06 PM

Re: Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White

Since they were originally charging an extra $10 (I think) for white over black during the initial launch, I wonder if it has to do with popularity. Either so they can make a bit more money on the most popular model or so they can try to control demand.

Which is to say, as more of the white get ordered and strain their stock of the white components maybe they start upping the price of that option to drive down demand until they have an adequate stock again.

As I recall the price of white as a case option has gone from $10 or $15 at the initial launch to free and wavered to the $30 mark now.

Bluetooth has varied in price as has the ram and ssd upgrade prices as I recall.

I don't agree with the practice, but maybe that might explain it... :?

Fallstar 01-12-2009 06:28 PM

When I ordered mine, a few days after the Mini's announcement, the white "upgrade" was going for $25, which I paid. :? The webcam upgrade to 1.3 mp was an additional $10, and getting bluetooth was $15. So it looks like all those upgrades have increased in price. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that a lot of people complained about the higher price for White, so Dell credited them for it...although I can't verify that.

Gondee 01-17-2009 04:52 AM

Dell was having problems painting them if i remember correctly, and the didn't fully account for the time it took to layer. So that have been backed up on all the colors, and they have costed more.

jdizzle 01-17-2009 06:53 AM

If you have any change left over from that or are just a glutton for punishment, you can have em cram in a $75us 2gb RAM module(Ubuntu only). I imagine it is probably twice the performance of my crucial as it's more than double the price.

FuzzyDicePHL 01-19-2009 01:26 PM

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed when I finally went back to order and white was $30 more. I'd wanted it to match my phone. If Obsidian Black is anything like the black iPhone 3Gs, I'm going to hate the smudges all over it and anticipate skinning my Mini when it finally arrives. :)

helius 01-19-2009 05:39 PM

I paid the $30 for red one. It was difficult, but I really wanted it :D

ElCheapo 01-19-2009 06:37 PM

With dell's current financials and the pull-back in consumer spending, i'm not surprised they are profiteering where they can...oh wait...they've always done that...

davico_rosello 01-20-2009 12:32 AM

maybe dell is now painting white the refurbished and scratched black models :lol:

FuzzyDicePHL 01-20-2009 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helius
I paid the $30 for red one. It was difficult, but I really wanted it :D

I'd've done it if there'd been a jewel-tone medium blue.

Watch, new batch of colors'll be out at the beginning of FEB, after I am committed to my Obsidian. heh heh