General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default Re: Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White - 01-21-2009, 04:17 AM

Prices are usually changed to slow down the sale of an item or an option...for example if there is low stock on an option or item raising the price will slow down the sale because people will stray away from spending more money...the color options are a pretty common example of this...you will also see it with the batteries...if the stock is low or if there is a part shortage the price will increase...supply and demand...
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White - 01-21-2009, 06:56 AM

I guess its a good thing there are a ton of alpine white's in the outlet section.

Hey look, you just saved $30 more dollars buying your white one from the dell outlet
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White - 01-21-2009, 04:28 PM

I bought a refurbed white Mini while the outlet store was having a 20% sale. The base price was $299 for the 8GB model, same as the Black model. It didn't make sense for me to buy a brand new one, since you pretty much have the same warranty options on the used ones. I also bought my inspiron 1405 from the outlet store about 2.5 years ago and used the savings to get a 3 yr warranty. It's held up really well, so I think i got a good deal.

Dell Mini 9 (refurb), Alpine White, 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD, Windows 7, Office Enterprise 2007. Free Space left: 932 MB.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White - 02-05-2009, 01:13 AM

I've noticed the prices in the outlet have been rising markedly lately. I'm only really looking at the previously ordered/new models...but here's what I noticed:

- I paid $329 for a Alpine White/16GB SSD/1GB RAM/XP/1.3MP camera model a couple weeks back
- I just saw a $419 Obsidian Black/8GB SSD/1GB RAM/XP/1.3MP camera in the outlet

Given that Dell is now charging more for the Alpine than the Obsidian model -- even in the outlet -- it looks like the current price is well above $100 more than it was two weeks ago. :shock: :shock:

I guess I lucked out by getting mine when I did.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White - 02-05-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Marmot
I've noticed the prices in the outlet have been rising markedly lately. I'm only really looking at the previously ordered/new models...but here's what I noticed:

- I paid $329 for a Alpine White/16GB SSD/1GB RAM/XP/1.3MP camera model a couple weeks back
- I just saw a $419 Obsidian Black/8GB SSD/1GB RAM/XP/1.3MP camera in the outlet

Given that Dell is now charging more for the Alpine than the Obsidian model -- even in the outlet -- it looks like the current price is well above $100 more than it was two weeks ago. :shock: :shock:

I guess I lucked out by getting mine when I did.
Are you sure it didn't include a wwan card? Usually they aren't that expensive unless they do.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White - 02-05-2009, 01:29 AM

I got white as I didn't pay extra for it. As much as I like white they'd have to pay me $30 to take it. I spent $12 to cover it up.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White - 02-05-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i has mini
Are you sure it didn't include a wwan card? Usually they aren't that expensive unless they do.
It's still in the Dell Outlet right now (0G7RDJ1T is the item number). No WAN card -- though possibly that's a misprint and it really does have one.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White - 02-05-2009, 02:09 AM

[quote=Nice Marmot]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "i has mini":a8fvear2
It's still in the Dell Outlet right now (0G7RDJ1T is the item number). No WAN card -- though possibly that's a misprint and it really does have one.[/quote:a8fvear2]

I see that it has 15 months of McAffee. Maybe that is why the price is so high. :lol: But yeah, that price is crazy. My brother got one with the same specs for $275 after taxes and discount.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White - 02-06-2009, 09:24 PM

(#20) Old

Default Re: Dell now charges $30 for Alpine White - 02-27-2009, 04:34 PM

It's still free if you order from Dell's Member Purchase Program (i.e. college faculty/student page). Besides black and white the other colors look to cost extra.

Also, I noticed a curious bit of info between this page and the normal purchase page. As of today a Mini 9 shows a ship date of 3/17 on the normal purchase page. An identically configured unit on the MPP page it has a ship date one week later. Not sure what accounts for that.

« "Windows Live"????? | Windows 7 Enhancements for SSDs »