General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Help Needed Upgrading an Inspiron 700m - 08-21-2010, 04:38 PM

Hi:

I have an older Dell Inspiron 700m. It's specs are very similar to a modern netbook, but it is really an ultraportable laptop. I'm planning on giving the machine a new lease on life, by installing a linux OS (not sure which Distro yet), upgrading the RAM and adding a new 8-cell battery. I would also like to upgrade the wireless card from the wireless-G card (dell part number OK3444) currently in the machine, to a compatible wireless-N card.

I was wondering if any of you would know what wireless N cards are compatible with the 700m.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 08-21-2010, 05:11 PM

I think the 700m uses a older Mini PCI wifi card, not a newer Mini PCIe card. You might not be able to find a N card to fit.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 11-02-2010, 07:36 PM

Belated thanks reflex. I did more research and you are completely correct. a wireless N dongle can be used or a card can be jury rigged if you sacriffice one of the USB ports permanently. neither option seems worthwhile. Instead I bought a new battery, maxed out the RAM, and replaced my router with a new Linksys e3000. The difference is incredible. The old laptop now fires right up and the internet connection is nice and snappy for most of what I do with that machine. the funny thing is that it is still running XP. I plan on doing a dual boot of Linux on it, but have yet to find a distro I really like on this machine. I wanted to try a KDE based distro and have found several very pretty ones. Sadly I have yet to find one that recognized my wirelsss connection right off the bat or which I really liked. I don't want to go with Mint again on another computer, so I'm still looking for a distro to share the HD on this rig.
  (#4) Old

Default 08-14-2011, 08:43 AM

I just ordered a new 8cell battery (5200maH) for the same model. I recommend installing Lubuntu (=the lightest version of the Ubuntu family), as your Dell will be blazing fast!

What are the advantages of a N-card? I have no issues with the original WIFI card (from 2004), so Im not touching that part at this time. The old card works great.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-14-2011, 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=Isthmus;173640]The old laptop now fires right up and the internet connection is nice and snappy for most of what I do with that machine. the funny thing is that it is still running XP. /QUOTE]

Have you considered a clean install of XP? For an old machine it is a good option on speed control too. Get a copy of all the necessary drivers 1st.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#6) Old

Default 08-14-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanhaes View Post
I just ordered a new 8cell battery (5200maH) for the same model. I recommend installing Lubuntu (=the lightest version of the Ubuntu family), as your Dell will be blazing fast!

What are the advantages of a N-card? I have no issues with the original WIFI card (from 2004), so Im not touching that part at this time. The old card works great.
LXDE is nice, but I prefer something that is a bit easier to configure how I like things. I find LXDE to be a bit too command line heavy in that regard so Gnome 2 has been my preference, even if it is a bit slower. that said, now that this fall Ubuntu is abandoning Gnome 2 for good and I don't know which direction Linux mint (my distro of choice) will go, I might just switch to Linux Mint Debian Xfce. It's pretty light, fast and allows me to configure a lot more easily than LXDE.

As for the card, an N card will (in theory) provide a faster internet connection. You will also find improved range and MUCH faster streaming speeds inside the house. overall it is a noticeably better experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
The old laptop now fires right up and the internet connection is nice and snappy for most of what I do with that machine. the funny thing is that it is still running XP.
Have you considered a clean install of XP? For an old machine it is a good option on speed control too. Get a copy of all the necessary drivers 1st.
Thanks but at this point XP is well on it's way to a well deserved death. This machine will become a Linux Machine once I'm done with it. Almost surely it will be LMDX.
  (#7) Old

Default 08-15-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
Thanks but at this point XP is well on it's way to a well deserved death.
My thoughts exactly. I just thought you wanted to dual boot it.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |

« My Dell Downloads Stuck at "Examining my computer please wait" (Fixed) | os problem »