General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Default Learning to program - 08-17-2010, 01:24 AM

I know there's some developers on here, so I will pose this question: I'm interested in learning how to write some programs. Where's a good spot to start?

I suspect the bulk of what I want to do is going to be on Linux. So that would lead me to question where to begin, and with what language? This is going to be a challenge for me no matter what as I have ADD, and therefore the attention span of a gnat. I also prefer learning from a book rather than something online.

Thanks for any advice!

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 08-17-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
I know there's some developers on here, so I will pose this question: I'm interested in learning how to write some programs. Where's a good spot to start?

I suspect the bulk of what I want to do is going to be on Linux. So that would lead me to question where to begin, and with what language? This is going to be a challenge for me no matter what as I have ADD, and therefore the attention span of a gnat. I also prefer learning from a book rather than something online.

Thanks for any advice!
SAMS books are good for beginners....as far as linux try here:

Amazon.com: Sams Teach Yourself C for Linux Programming in 21 Days…

dont let the price get ya, they are not $241..thats an error they are around $30-$40..check your local Barnes and Noble, you are in Detroit so there should be one around

I have the ones on VB (Visual Basic) and they are VERY good, I also took numerous classes in the local TECH center but still these books are 1st class

PS. as a mod go read my post in Feedback regarding this forum posted by Dunhamzzz

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-18-2010, 11:00 AM

Checked the local Borders/Barnes & Noble, and no such luck unfortunately. Opted to pick up a VB book instead for now. My plan was going to be primarily Linux, but for now I'm content with Windows, especially since I spend most of my day in it these day anyway.

(#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 08-18-2010, 02:32 PM

VB is great to learn, just keep in mind that most of windows in written in vc++

PS. you can also buy those SAMS books online....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM

Way I figure it is that I'm a complete noob, so VB will be a good start, and then I can progress forward.

I was looking at some of those SAMS books online. I admittedly didn't look very hard, but was having a hard time locating a source for the C book that I trusted/used before. And I'm cool with VB for now anyway.

« Attempting to Extract files from IMG File | Suspicious calls reportedly from Dell »