General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default Attempting to Extract files from IMG File - 08-15-2010, 10:43 AM

I'm very keen to try out the latest version of Chromium OS on my Mini9 using Hexxeh's latest Vanilla builds and have installed to my old 16GB SSD. Everything works except WiFi which is arguably the biggest setback for an always-connected OS. I've found there is an issue with including broadcom drivers due to licensing and so may not ever be included in the latest releases.

I have however successfully installed Dell's own version of Chromium from here with WiFi working. However, this is a fairly dated build and I would like to extract 'install_wk.sh' from /etc/ to try and copy and install on Hexxeh's latest build.

Could I access /etc/ from within Dell's Chromium OS within the terminal and manually copy files?

I have tried mounting Dell's IMG file with PowerISO, WinImage, as well as trying to open it with 7zip, though both will not open the extracted IMG and wondering if other software will work.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Okay I have managed to acquire the file simply by going into GMail (from the Dell Chromium OS distro) and attaching install_wl.sh as a file just by browsing to /etc/.

I have downloaded the file on Hexxeh's Vanilla OS under cd / -> home -> chronos -> user -> Downloads

However I have hit a massive snag. When trying to install the driver initially using the same instructions as per this text file it told me it was an invalid command. So I tried

sudo sh install_wl.sh

To which it came up with an error stating /etc/kervsion cannot be opened.
So I wondered why this is and I tried copying (sudo cp install_wl.sh) to /etc/ to see if it would make a difference and was shown that it is a read-only system.

Does anyone know how to force /etc/ to be read and write? A you saw sudo did not work so I am fairly stuck here. I'll add any breakthroughs I come across as it could be helpful to anyone else looking to get the latest bleeding edge Chromium OS release working on their Mini's.

Also sorry if this is in the incorrect forum - at first I thought it would belong in General Discussion for help.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 08-15-2010, 12:25 PM

The instructions you linked to require running "install_wl.sh" while running off a USB drive, before installing to the HDD/SSD. So, are you booting off a USB drive when running the command?

Furthermore, can you post the script "install_wl.sh" here? If it's simple, I might be able to understand it.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 08-15-2010, 11:21 PM

I don't think that it is a requirement to be booting off a USB drive before running the script, as it also works if the distro is installed to the SSD. I managed to run install_wl.sh after running a script 'mount_rw.sh' which gave me read/write access which was located in the same folder as the other script.

However I was presented with further errors as specific files (lib80211.ko and wl.ko) couldn't be found in /lib/modules/kernel/driver/net/wireless (or something similar). Even after copying and creating the appropriate folders and files through the terminal more errors were given regarding the files which I copied directly from the Dell distro.

It's pretty frustrating how much progress it felt like I was making, but as Hexxeh kindly tweeted in reply to me, apparently it is going to take quite some work to get it all working, but he will get working on WiFi drivers in the future which I'll probably just wait for.

As for the scripts - it's easier for me to copy/paste their contents than upload.

install_wl.sh
#!/bin/sh

set -x

. /etc/kerversion

sudo /etc/mount_rw.sh

sudo echo "blacklist b43" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
sudo echo "blacklist b43legacy" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
sudo echo "blacklist ssb" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
sudo echo "wl" >> /etc/modules

sudo insmod /lib/modules/${KVER}/kernel/net/wireless/lib80211.ko
sudo insmod /lib/modules/${KVER}/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko
sudo depmod -a

^Looking at this now (I only just realised sh files could be edited easily) I could see if changing 'sudo /etc/mount_rw.sh' to 'sudo sh /etc/mount_rw.sh' will make any difference as the Vanilla build doesn't know what to do with sh files, where Dell's distro does without the 'sh' prefix.

Getting pretty complicated now.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default 08-16-2010, 02:38 AM

That script is pretty easy to understand, and I understand what "/etc/mount_rw.sh" is supposed to do from your description.

Does the "/etc/kerversion" script just set the "KVER" (kernel version) variable? ". textfile" just reads and executes the commands in the given file.

Where does the wl.ko file come from in the original Dell instructions? It's the Broadcom wireless driver (kernel module), but it needs to be compiled to match the current kernel, you can't just borrow that file from another distro/version/etc.

I think Broadcom install procedures usually compile the drivers as part of the process. (Other manufacturer's drivers have different licenses, which makes it easier to distribute them.)

As for executing ".sh" files without specifying "sh script", make sure "execute" permission is set on the script. "chmod +x script" or "sudo chmod +x script" as appropriate to add execute permission.

"chmod +x file" = "change mode add execute permission"
"chmod -x file" = "change mode remove execute"
"chmod -xw file" = "change mode remove execute and remove write"
etc.

More script info: A script is just a simple text file with two characteristics. The first line has the shebang "#!" followed by the name of the command interpreter for the programming language ("/bin/sh" for simple shell scripts, but you could use Perl, Python, whatever). To make it easy to execute, a script should also have "execute" permission.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« DellU Contest! | Learning to program »