General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#21) Old

Default Osx.6.4/xpsp3 - 08-17-2010, 01:10 AM

OSX about 95%. XP only for a server that only runs on XP which I access 1-2/wk. Since this is the only use I have for XP I have no Windows virus or malware protection. I tried to download some free security software from ATT but it was not easy enough and I gave it up.
  (#22) Old

Default 08-18-2010, 06:31 PM

After trying multiple OSs but without enough space to do dual boot on my mini 9- Ubuntus from 8.04 to the latest netbook ver., various other Linux distros, XP, I finally settled on Win 7.
Didn't have to install any drivers and W7 picks up my wifi immediately! Linux distros took forever. Mint is my favorite linux distro.
  (#23) Old

Default 08-19-2010, 04:35 PM

I got my Dell Mini 10 a couple of week ago and it came with Win XP.
After a small survey and since i am not very comfortable with linux OS i installed Joilcoud, howeve performance is not what i expected, since its almost similar to win xp when browsing.

would you suggest something else? is chrome os out yet?
  (#24) Old
Guru

Default 08-19-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgosh View Post
After a small survey and since i am not very comfortable with linux OS i installed Joilcoud, howeve performance is not what i expected, since its almost similar to win xp when browsing.

Is that a 1010? The old Mini 10 with a Z-series CPU and GMA500 graphics. Since the GMA500 has poor Linux drivers, it can be difficult to get it running well.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#25) Old

Default 08-23-2010, 06:12 AM

So what your suggestion would be? Stay with Win XP or Windows 7? Or maybe try ubuntu? Will i see any changes in performance?
  (#26) Old
Guru

Default 08-23-2010, 01:08 PM

I'd never buy or use a GMA500 netbook, because the GMA500 is only supported in Windows. Linux support, including Ubuntu, is very poor.

But if you're a Windows user, I'd use what you have the license for. If you have ample licenses, Win7 seems like an obvious choice.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#27) Old

Default 08-23-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:

There are only a few Linux distros that have out of the box support for the GMA500 chip set if indeed it is a 1010 that you own.

Jolicloud is one of them and Mandriva One is the other. Mandriva uses the KDE interface so it is quite a bit different from Jolicloud. I would suggest if you would like to try it to install it to a USB flash drive or a SD/HC card.

You can also try Ubuntu 10.4 and install the drivers for it. It is a straight forward install and only requires a small amount of command line use. Two lines to be exact and they are posted on the Ubuntu web side with directions which are easy to follow. Again installing to a USB flash drive or a SD/HC card protects your windows OS from any harm.

Good luck in your efforts. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#28) Old

Default 08-24-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
So what your suggestion would be? Stay with Win XP or Windows 7? Or maybe try ubuntu? Will i see any changes in performance?
your browsing performance might not be an issue with the OS, but rather a function of your choice of browser and of your ethernet card. For example, if you have a wireless g card, your browsing performance will be slower than a wirless N card, regardless of the OS. also, some browsers use compression software to give you increased browsing speed. Opera is pretty good at this, Though in my opinion rendering in it is not the best. Google Chrome (or chromium if you're using Linux) is one of the best in this regard.

Go in your comand line and type in: sudo lshw
enter th epasword when asked and see the list that is generated. you should find your wireless card listed there somewhere. see what kind you have.
  (#29) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 08-25-2010, 01:27 AM

your speed inside the house is not as important...it doesnt matter whether you have 'g' or 'n', if your ISP's connection coming into the cable modem is slow its gonna be slow, you might be able to communicate with your router really quick, but then if your ISP is slow, the data cant go any faster than they allow unless you pay for a super speed connection and in my opinion most cable companies get paid too much to begin with...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#30) Old

Default 08-29-2010, 02:30 PM

Right now I have Mac OS X, but I'll be jumping back to Windows XP when I get my Broadcom HD card.

« Because of FF with chromifox and caption plus, IE is a gonner. | SugarSync (Think DropBox but 5GB FREE) OSX/Win »