General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Best Antivirus for a netbook - 07-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Hey Everyone,
I am wondering what you think the best antivirus software is for a netbook. I noticed a couple threads but I was wondering what you personally use, and at what price range to spend for antivirus.

Thanks!

DellU MA Facebook Page-http://www.facebook.com/DellUniversityMA
DellU MA Twitter Page-http://twitter.com/DellU_MA
Contact AIM- DellMArep
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 07-13-2010, 09:03 PM

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. I haven't had any viruses, but probably just as important as a good AV program, common sense and good browsing practices go a long way.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#3) Old

Default 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
I just use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. I haven't had any viruses, but probably just as important as a good AV program, common sense and good browsing practices go a long way.
Couldn't have said it better myself, and +1 for both MSE and Malwarebytes. I used to like Avast! too, but I've come to prefer MSE mostly because of the ability to schedule automatic scans.

I may switch to Norton when the 2011 version is available at retail. I've heard that the netbook edition now has a feature to delay the boot-time scan by 10 minutes, which should speed up boot times significantly. I use Norton on my other laptops/desktops and have always been happy with its performance. Also, they offer rebates for upgrades so frequently that I can usually get 3 licenses for less than $20 whenever my subscription is about to expire.

Jay, since you have connections at Dell, is there any way you could put in a suggestion to make pre-installed McAfee a removable option for every computer purchase (instead of ramming it down our throats and forcing us to pay for a 15-month subscription on most, if not all, EPP purchases)? IMO, McAfee is one of the worst AV programs out there. The first thing I do when I receive any new Dell is to uninstall it. It's incredibly irritating to be forced to pay for a subscription that I know I will never use. Also, it's sort of like spyware and is almost impossible to remove completely.
  (#4) Old

Default 07-13-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriem04 View Post
Jay, since you have connections at Dell, is there any way you could put in a suggestion to make pre-installed McAffe a removable option for every computer purchase (instead of ramming it down our throats and forcing us to pay for a 15-month subscription on most, if not all, EPP purchases)? IMO, McAffe is one of the worst AV programs out there. The first thing I do when I receive any new Dell is to uninstall it. It's incredibly irritating to be forced to pay for a subscription that I know I will never use. Also, it's sort of like spyware and is almost impossible to remove completely.
I can not promise to make any changes on behalf of the company, but I can promise that I will pass this information along. It's always frustrating when something doesn't come with what you want (or things that you don't) so I completely understand.

DellU MA Facebook Page-http://www.facebook.com/DellUniversityMA
DellU MA Twitter Page-http://twitter.com/DellU_MA
Contact AIM- DellMArep
  (#5) Old

Default 07-14-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayd272 View Post
I can not promise to make any changes on behalf of the company, but I can promise that I will pass this information along. It's always frustrating when something doesn't come with what you want (or things that you don't) so I completely understand.
Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.
  (#6) Old

Default 07-14-2010, 12:09 PM

ghost32, small, quick, free, guaranteed to remove any virus/malware/spyware/etc now or in future in minutes without any need for updates!

seriously it's a netbook, you don't need an anti-virus on a netbook, the idea of a netbook is so u can use it anytime you want as oppose to waiting half an hour for it to boot up and then having it half usable machine because the antivirus is such a system hog
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 07-14-2010, 03:22 PM

I would be very hesitant to use any software that made such extravagant claims. Good AV products are not system hogs and do not leave the system "half usable". The notion that one can do without AV on a netbook is, in my view, misguided and dangerous.

I can start using my Mini 9 within a minute of a cold-start.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old

Default 07-14-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
Add another plus one from me.

I use BitDefender on my StudioXPS though.

Travel: Dell Mini 10v | Black | 2 GB RAM | 340GB HD | Windows 7 Ultimate
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM

I personally use ESET Smart Security...works great on a Mini, if you want one for free I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials as already mentioned earlier in this thread

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#10) Old
Administrator

Default 07-14-2010, 08:35 PM

My experience with the most recent BitDefender was exceedingly negative. I would not recommend it to anyone. I do like the current Norton products, as well as MSE.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Dell Mini 10 - will I be getting it? | Why You Should Try Linux on your Netbook »