General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default 07-14-2010, 08:41 PM

I recommend the three A's, AVG, AVAST, and AVira. I use all three on my systems and rotate them to make sure I am using the best of the three as they all get updated on a regular basis. I have not found any of them to be system hogs (and there are some other programs that really slow down a system).

I have used Norton and McAfee in the past and have had problems with both of them. McAfee has cost me a system reconstruction or two in the past and I avoid it like the plague now.

I know of some people who don't use a AV program; but I really would not sleep well if I did not have one on any of my windows systems. I do duel boot all of my systems and if I know I am going where viruses are going to be for sure (foreign sites etc.) I boot into Linux just to make sure I am covered. I have yet to get a virus while running Linux.

I think it is better to be safe than sorry as I have seen just what a virus can do to a system. Take care and be protected when you surf; either by a AV program or Linux. fdalbor

Oh yea the three A's are all free.

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#12) Old

Default 07-15-2010, 02:30 AM

I've been pleased with Avira, doesn't slow my netbook down at all. Only little problem I have is that sometimes when working wireless, Avira tries to download updates before the wireless kicks in so it errors out and I have to initiate the update again manually.

Vostro A90 - Windows 7 Home Premium, 32GB Super Talent SSD (GFDL), 2GB G.SKILL RAM, 8 cell 5200 mAh Better Power battery, 0.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#13) Old

Default 07-15-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I would be very hesitant to use any software that made such extravagant claims. Good AV products are not system hogs and do not leave the system "half usable". The notion that one can do without AV on a netbook is, in my view, misguided and dangerous.

I can start using my Mini 9 within a minute of a cold-start.
well ghost32 does just that! when u think u have a virus, wipe the hard drive and just put another image on it.. too easy! and the best thing is, it can be done even quicker than u can scan for a virus
  (#14) Old

Default 07-15-2010, 10:47 AM

I've been using AVG for a good while now, on my Mini 9, and it works well for me. Free of course, which is nice. McAFee is probably the most annoying programme that I've ever used.
  (#15) Old

Default 07-15-2010, 11:07 AM

I use a combination of Avast for active scans, ThreatFire for monitoring/blocking suspicious activities (Avast's capabilities are very bad here*), and Secunia PSI to keep software up to date. All are free. Speed is not affected too much.

*According to a test by c't ($$). MSE scored about equal; it has even better heuristics and disinfection capabilities but update intervals are worse and you have to update manually, too easy to forget for me.
  (#16) Old
Administrator

Default 07-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
well ghost32 does just that! when u think u have a virus, wipe the hard drive and just put another image on it.. too easy! and the best thing is, it can be done even quicker than u can scan for a virus
Oh, THAT ghost... I don't think most people would be satisfied with restoring a drive image whenever they got a virus or worm, and many times you're not even aware of a problem until much later. What about your data files that you work with?

If all you do is read email and browse the web, you may as well trade for an iPad.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#17) Old

Default 07-16-2010, 01:43 AM

OK .... i've been experiencing with security suites for the past 3 years and after using more than 10 security products, i've realized that Kaspersky Internet Security is the best product out there

1. I dont recommend AVG personally, because it lacks effectiveness in the detection ( just because its well-known doesnt mean its good for you ... and before you consider to buy any security suites, you should check their free trials to see if you like it. Dont just download AVG and if it works great, then you wont check the other products to see the difference.

2. basically, i dont think heavy products like Panda, BitDefender, Norton, Mcafee fits your netbook because it takes too much rams and your computer performance isnt that high. Kaspersky doesnt slow your computer that much. Why? Mostly, because Kaspersky doesnt have any unnecesssary features like Cleaner. Why? because those arent their thing. If they include those features, they'd have to raise the cost, and those cleaner probably wont work as effective as Auslogic Boostspeed or other products.

Here is my opinion on security suites:

1. Kaspersky Internet Security
2. Eset Smart Security
3. Avast(the most expensive one, dont remember what its called)
4. Avira
5. Mcafee (very good product but it can be a little overprotected. So make sure your computer has no virus before you use Mcafee!!!)
  (#18) Old

Default 07-16-2010, 02:38 AM

McAFee is a really useless piece of junk. It will give nothing but trouble.
  (#19) Old
Administrator

Default 07-16-2010, 02:12 PM

Current Norton products are very "light" on resources.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#20) Old

Default 07-16-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Oh, THAT ghost... I don't think most people would be satisfied with restoring a drive image whenever they got a virus or worm, and many times you're not even aware of a problem until much later. What about your data files that you work with?

If all you do is read email and browse the web, you may as well trade for an iPad.
sure, i'll trade u my dell mini for an ipad.. i don't know what ur point is.. ipads are more expensive and they get virus too

« Dell Mini 10 - will I be getting it? | Why You Should Try Linux on your Netbook »