General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Lightbulb Hack a 3cell battery into a 6cell - 07-08-2010, 03:59 AM

I have 2 dell 1012 netbooks with 3cell batteries that I find give me about 4 hours. Im thinking of buying a 6cell batt. for one pc and hacking the other two small battery packs together for the other dell.

I came across this post . Battery Mod/Hack/Upgrade?

and that got me thinking of just buying 3 more loose cells and just hacking 1 battery pack into a 6cell and leaving the other alone.

I was hoping someone with a stock 3cell system like mine upgraded to a 6 cell and no longer needs there 3cell pack. This would mean the batteries are a factory match. the cheapest solution for now.

Any problems with this idea? (are there hidden switches , chips , or missing contact switches, or any differences between a 3cell and a 6cell)

Who wants to donate that unused 3 cell pack to me
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 07-12-2010, 03:42 PM

I doubt if it's as simple as just adding 3 more cells to it. Each cell is wired to "balance" the cells so they all are with in the same voltage range along with charging. So you have to look at wiring the cells in series or parallel and whether two groups of three or three groups of two.
I'd say you'd be better off looking for a dead 6 cell and replacing the cells so you can see how it's wired.
If your not familiar with wiring battery packs, here's a good reference I use for making battery packs for my RC cars.
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html
Although you're using LiIon cells, same principles apply to wiring, charging and balancing as LiPo's.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP

« Hackintosh Questions | Dell Mini internal power tap for lighting? »