General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Smallest Netbook - 07-02-2010, 10:18 AM

This question isn't brand-specific (any one will do), but out of curiosity, what are some of the tinier netbooks out there?
What are the dimensions on the mini 9 (not the screen - the actual case itself)?

Reason I ask is because I'm in the market for single board computers running windows-type stuff, and netbooks are an interesting alternative.....depending on how miniscule of a model I can find.

I don't really care about the keyboard or LCD size so much. I consider those as "cute little bonus conveniences" LOL...so anything will do.

Dell Mini 10v
1 gig ram
GMA 950 video
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 07-02-2010, 10:39 AM

The Mini 9 is small, but there are smaller ones. Heck, there's the original Asus Eee 701 with a 7" screen, that makes the Mini 9 look huge by comparison. There have also been some even smaller models with unusable (in my opinion) keyboards, but they are severely compromised in many ways.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 07-02-2010, 01:06 PM

I have both a Mini 9 and Asus 701. The Asus is considerably smaller and was actually the first true "netbook" when it was introduced in '08. I don't know if they are officially still available new although you can still find them for sale if you search around.
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default 07-02-2010, 01:09 PM

Like holmes stated, the Mini 9 isn't the smallest. But it's small, has reasonably modern specs, and is easy/cheap to upgrade/fix (except for the expensive SSD). It's popularity also helps. Being popular means that spare parts are available, and for any problem, someone else has probably found the answer already.

As for the size, Google "mini 9 dimensions".

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#5) Old

Default 07-07-2010, 07:24 AM

If price is absolutely no concern, there's always the Sony P Series.

VAIO P Series Lifestyle PC | Sony | SonyStyle USA
  (#6) Old

Default 08-11-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyRhino View Post
If price is absolutely no concern, there's always the Sony P Series.

VAIO P Series Lifestyle PC | Sony | SonyStyle USA
Well put, but that is one expensive piece of hardware. For a little over $300, I was able to build a mini 1012 with very similar specs - Higher in some regards and slightly lower in others. Granted my machine is sliglhtly bigger and slightly heavier, but it seems like a slight price to pay for saving over $500.

I would love to see a small machine like the sony with relatively high specs, that sold in the $300-$400 range. If it can be done with tablets, I don't understand why it can't be done with a netbook.
  (#7) Old

Default 08-22-2010, 01:48 AM

Like some of the other members said, the ASUS 701 is pretty small and right now there's a great deal for the 701SD with a 7" screen. Refurb ASUS Eee PC Celeron 630MHz 7" Netbook for $100 + $11 s&h, more - dealnews.com And heck, it's only $100 so why not? The proc is kinda weak though...

Black Dell Mini 10v | BIOS A05 | WinXP SP3 l MAC OS X 10.6.7 l 1GB RAM | NetbookInstaller BLAHBLAH | 23" External Display | 28GB External Time Machine HDD |
  (#8) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 08-24-2010, 03:23 PM

No-one's really made a small netbook since the first wave of them back in 2007/8. Since then they've always gotten bigger but seem to have halted at 10/11 inches.

Sadly this means the smaller ones have older and slower tech in them.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.

« Recover Formatted SD Card | Mac Memory Stick Recover »