General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Dell Mini 10 - will I be getting it? - 06-25-2010, 07:30 AM

I ordered a Mini 10 early last week, optioned up to the 1.6gig Z530, 6 cell battery, TV tuner. Initially quoted as delivery 2 days back.

End of last week they mailed me to say that the delivery would be delayed to the 29th June.

Today I get a mail saying that its now going to be on the 5th July!!!!

Whats mildly irritating is that the Z520-Z530 upgrade is not being listed (Z530 only), TV tuner not available, and the blue lid is not listed either. It makes me wonder if they're cutting back on stock levels due to a replacement mode range, and that at the end of the day they may not actually be able to deliver .....
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 06-25-2010, 03:02 PM

What is offered on Dell's web site changes day to day - don't read too much into that. The 1010 is definitely in its waning days, but you should get what you ordered. The delays you encountered are familiar to those who ordered Mini 9s late in its lifecycle.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 06-29-2010, 02:07 PM

As holmes said, you should be fine, they still had a large stock of Mini 9s to sell long after they were "discontinued"

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#4) Old

Default 07-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Ta guys.

I eventually cancelled that one order, they stated that they didn't know when the colour choice would be available (I'd only selected a different colour as it was listed as a no cost option), and I'd had a couple of "new delivery date" mails. Customer services were dire though, utterly useless. But then they were fairly typical off-shore, working off a script ....

Raised another one now, effectively cheaper - Z530 is now standard (yay!), so only optioned the 6 cell battery and a 16gb memory stick. I remembered that I had a Hauppage DVB-T stick bought a few years back that'll (hopefully) be as good as the now non-available built in tuner.

Even so, its basically going to be 2 weeks from placing the order to receiving it - thats an inordinately long time by current manufacturing standards?
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 07-01-2010, 12:40 PM

Two weeks? No, that's not unusual at all for models that originate in China. When an item is relatively new, Dell stocks a lot of them, but in the late days they come in slowly or get shifted around, and it can take longer.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default 07-01-2010, 03:03 PM

2 weeks - but the expected delivery date was originally set when they were waiting for the credit approval to go through (which was delayed for a few days while they sorted out some mistakes on their systems - comms between Dell and their UK credit agency are .... slow). Interesting that it didn't change during those delays.

Ah well, no hurry - I'm using the works laptop (Latitude E5400) for the moment at home, just can't put iTunes on it
  (#7) Old

Default 07-07-2010, 09:47 AM

They're now starting to take the proverbial on these orders ....
- refund from the original deposit has not happened (8 working days in, supposed to be 5)
- replacement order had its expected due date as 9th July. Went to "In Production" last night, this morning the due date is now 20th July.

Whilst I'm in no real hurry, they're really making themselves look utterly incompetent at handling the order. Its not even that custom - the only option I've checked for the netbook itself is the 6 cell battery.

Wouldn't be so bad if they kept me appraised with e-mails, reasons why there has been a delay .... and contacting customer services is extremely painful, as are most indian-based customer service experiences. Grrr. Grrr.
  (#8) Old

Default 07-08-2010, 01:10 AM

go with the outlet. it has good sales and gives you full same as new warranty. It has been given a total makeover(more flashy and a lot harder to find the best deals.)
!!!BRING BACK THE OLD OUTLET!!!

Dell Mini Inspiron 910 32GB RunCore SSD, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
Dell Inspiron 1720 2x 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
https://www.facebook.com/pinto.ismael
http://gplus.to/ismaelpinto
  (#9) Old

Default 07-14-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish05 View Post
go with the outlet. it has good sales and gives you full same as new warranty. It has been given a total makeover(more flashy and a lot harder to find the best deals.)
!!!BRING BACK THE OLD OUTLET!!!
Got to agree about the new outlet compared to the old one. Maybe I just don't know how to use it correctly. But it seemed like they had alot more units for sale on the old one compared to the new one.

But then what do I know; I'm just a CUSTOMER. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#10) Old

Default 07-16-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdalbor View Post
Got to agree about the new outlet compared to the old one. Maybe I just don't know how to use it correctly. But it seemed like they had alot more units for sale on the old one compared to the new one.

But then what do I know; I'm just a CUSTOMER. fdalbor
Only just looked at the revised outlet .... nowhere near as nice. But then us customers know nothing ....

Anyway, eventually cancelled the second order, picked up something slightly different - Compaq 311c. N270, NVidia Ion, 7200rpm hard drive, 11.6" screen, 1366x768, £240. Less than what I was going to be paying for a Z530 Mini 10. Guess the main bonus is that now I've got something that can handle Call of Duty 4, Bioshock and Crysis. My partner doesn't necessarily agree with that being a good thing though

« Dell Mini internal power tap for lighting? | Best Antivirus for a netbook »