General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Privacy worries... - 06-03-2010, 11:46 AM

I am going to be returning my Mini to Dell for investigation, but I am worried about what information they may be able to look at.

I am pretty sure my problem is a hard drive issue, so that make me worry more as what happens if they replace my drive and it gets recylced in some way.

I am going to take an image of my hard drive as it is now, then remove all my photos, ducments, emails etc, but someone would still be able to get access to deleted info if they wanted to. I am concerned about online banking info etc too.

I was going to do a full recovery from the recovery partition and return it "as new", but it said it couldn't access it????

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

Harters

Dell Mini 1012: Windows 7 Home Premium: Alpine White LCD Cover: HD True Life 1366 x 768 Screen: Broadcom Crystal HD Media Accelerator Card with SRS Surround Sound: 250 GB HDD: 6 Cell Battery: Dell 365 Bluetooth: 1.3MP Camera
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 06-03-2010, 02:18 PM

If you can make an image of your hard drive, you should be able to run DBAN on it to erase the disk.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 06-03-2010, 02:33 PM

personally, with all the drives Dell gets back I really dont think anyone has the time or even cares whats on your disk, the girl at the restuarant that you hand your credit card to is more likely to get your number than someone at Dell...at least you do online baking...my dad refuses to even put his credit card nunber in on line..he does everything over the phone or through the mail....me on the other hand couldnt care less about my stuff, my credit is so bad..I wish someone would take my numnbers so the credit bureaus would call them instead of me..let them steal my identity they can pay my child support.....if anyone ever stole my identity they would give it back in under an hour..(lol)

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 06-03-2010, 05:12 PM

Well, there are quite a few stories of Best Buy service techs poking through customer hard drives to see what they can pull out. I don't think the fear is groundless.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 06-03-2010, 05:21 PM

Thank you for your replies & will looki into DBAN, but I don't really want to return the Mini with a totally wiped disk as they won't be able to test it properly.

I guess that would also wipe out the recovery partition too which I don't really want to do either even though I can't access it at the moment.

Another option is to do my image then format & do a fresh install from the Dell DVD's but thats a lot of work. If my recovery partition was working it would be an easy decision..... Image --> Restore --> send to Dell

Harters

Dell Mini 1012: Windows 7 Home Premium: Alpine White LCD Cover: HD True Life 1366 x 768 Screen: Broadcom Crystal HD Media Accelerator Card with SRS Surround Sound: 250 GB HDD: 6 Cell Battery: Dell 365 Bluetooth: 1.3MP Camera
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 06-03-2010, 05:53 PM

yeah but Steve, if you read my post I started it off with 'PERSONALLY', which means I wouldnt care...I am not speaking for everyone here, nor did I say it was groundless and I also said "me on the other hand couldnt care less about my stuff" using the words 'ME' and also 'MY stuff' again not speaking for everyone or anyone else but myself....

When I worked at Circuit City and we swapped out hard drives we were way to busy to even bother we just tagged the drive and threw it into a manufacturers specific bin for return to the factory for credit..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#7) Old

Default 06-03-2010, 06:55 PM

Wipe it and reformat it if you can. Worst case it will not work after that but you're sending it in for repair anyway, right?
I recently had to return a defective PC to Micro Center to exchange for a new one. They actually ran a full wipe program on it (the real data-destroying deal, not just a reformat) while I watched. Apparently that is their policy, I was happily impressed. Nothing like what goes on at BB or the late Circuit City.

« Cheap Windows CE Netbook | MBR Dell mini 10v osx keep Win7 »