General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default MINI 10v in China - 05-09-2010, 05:46 PM

Hi evreyone; I bought my wife a 10v windows 7 starter last christmas. Does just what she need to do. Everything runs fine. No freezups, ect. She's going to China and traveling the country with a group of educators this summer. She gets a "0" on the teck scale but there will be others with her that will very versed in that area of computers. The 10v would be used for notes and Email. It has the wifi card but would a short Ethernet cable be handy? Also a power adapter/charger for the electricity in China? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks, Mark S.

ps: the stock dell power supply is dual voltage 110/220. china is 220 but any particular polarity or grounding issues when using a plug adapter?
  (#2) Old

Default 05-09-2010, 07:59 PM

I like to work in bed and carry a 50' ethernet cable in case I'm upgraded to a suite.........but yes, having a cable on hand is worth it as some places try to charge for using them or simply don't have one. This is for traveling in general and not really specific to China.

Yes will definitely need an adapter. I carry an adapter/transformer I got at the mail-order house Brookstone years ago. Nine out of ten times I don't really need the transformer part as the power supply for these computers etc are rated, but I step it down to 110 anyway and let it do the work instead saving some heat on the powercord. Just don't pack the charger for an expensive electric toothbrush, they burn out really easy even with the transformer, not sure what's up with that, but it cost me a bundle! The adapters I like the best are the ones that are self contained without a lot of loose parts, and some very good ones can sometimes even be bought on the airplane via duty free shopping. On mine, the three prong flat ones actually swivel so it can be used on either the straight or angled plugs....if that makes any sense.....Cheers

Electricity around the world: everything about plugs, sockets, voltages, converters, etc.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#3) Old
Administrator

Default 05-09-2010, 07:59 PM

The standard charger will work with a plug adapter. An Ethernet cable won't hurt - WiFi isn't as common in Asia as it is in the US and Europe.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 05-10-2010, 09:57 AM

the default power plugs you see in china look like this:

so either european or american power adapters should just work fine.
when I was working over there, I had no problem to get my european power adapters in there without an adapter.
and as far as I can tell, the top one should also be able to accomodate the US plugs.
just make sure they can handle the 220volts.
  (#5) Old

Default 05-10-2010, 01:08 PM

You just need one of these cheap adaptors:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WUZ3Y4/?tag=brsite3-20
Just use the picture for reference so you know basically what you need.
Radio Shack should carry these things for example if you want to buy in a store, and they can make sure you get the right thing.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4saken View Post
the default power plugs you see in china look like this:

so either european or american power adapters should just work fine.
when I was working over there, I had no problem to get my european power adapters in there without an adapter.
and as far as I can tell, the top one should also be able to accomodate the US plugs.
just make sure they can handle the 220volts.
I think the top one would work for a device that only has 2 prongs, but our minis have a 3 prong AC adapter. Anything with 3 prongs will then still need an adapter of some sort.
  (#6) Old

Default 05-10-2010, 05:01 PM

A short E. cable is a good idea. I spend six or seven months every year in Asia, and Wifi is very common nearly everywhere unless you go into the countryside. Don't carry a transformer, just a multi-adaptor. I'm in Phuket Thailand right now, with an excellent connection.
  (#7) Old

Default 05-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the replies. A 10' E cable and a plug adapter will do the trick. and a USB storage key rather than bringing the external DVD/CD drive.
  (#8) Old

Default 05-11-2010, 03:24 PM

One thing to watch for is a bad mains connection in the wall. I usually try and get an adaptor with an inbuilt switch, (on/off), giving a decisive current input.

« Thanks to everyone and I bid you farewell | New Dell Mini 1012 Configuration? »