General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Anybody stop using their hackintosh after getting an Ipad? - 05-05-2010, 05:18 PM

Since getting the iPad, I stopped using my Min9 (triple boot - 10.6/Ubuntu 9.10/Google Chrome) hackintosh.
Simply because the iPad's incredible battery life and the ability to play HD video w/out problems. 720p youtube, H2.64 and my tv episodes from ABC/Netflix.

I bought a mini9 because I was tired of lugging around my MBP15. Work also supplied me with the newest MBP 13.3 so that is lighter on the load. So, if I needed a real computer, I just use the MPB13.

If Dell comes out with another Mini that is just as hack-easy as the Mini9/10 with long battery life and ability to watch HD, I'll come back.

Don't want to sell my mini9 because I added a 64GB runcore SSD.
  (#2) Old

Default 05-08-2010, 03:41 AM

I can understand the logic - for me the whole reason not to get an ipad is the advantage of the mini 9 - which with OSX means I can pretty much do anything except watch hi def movies - I watch TV's episodes on this all the time but never bother with 720p just because well the mini's screen for one just won't play it!!!

I prefer the multi tasking - being able to actually use skype and also the fact it has a keypad over a touch screen. I personally think the Ipad is a great device - Apple thought out the logic very well - I just prefer the option of plugging in any USB devise, being able to still carry the mini 9 around (pretty much the same size just thicker) and with the 8 cell battery which I can't get 10 hours I can get 7 - with the spare battery I can stretch this out to around 10 but yes the Ipad 1024 x 728 display would be just brilliant to have in the mini 9!!!!

Also if I download something on the trot I can move the file using a USB key to any other device - for me until those issues are resolved the mini is my preferred device
  (#3) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 06-02-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grungysquash View Post
Also if I download something on the trot I can move the file using a USB key to any other device - for me until those issues are resolved the mini is my preferred device
Have you considered dropbox? You can access anything from anywhere, me and my partner find it easier than other forms of transfer, email, bluetooth etc. It's in the App Store too so you can use it on your iPad.

I have a link somewhere:
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM3NDQ1NzM5

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 06-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 06-10-2010, 10:22 AM

A mate came over and showed us all his Ipad - I have to admit the display is impressive and I believe larger than the mini's - I think it's closer to 10inch not 9.7 cos it was certainly larger.

Still not that impressed - my mini has 3G built in, his did not - his cost $850Ausi mine $350 + $300 for the 64gig runcore drive - mine runs both OSX & windows 7 (have 2 mini's now one running OSX 10.6.3 the other win 7 Pro).

He still has his work laptop and tells me his Ipad will help him do so much when he travels - then admitted he will still need his laptop when he travels cos well it can't do everything on the road. Well the mini wins again, my work unit is this mini, the one I"m typing this on now. I don't need a second computer when I travel cos well this is it - and when I'm at work I can plug it into my 24inch 1900x1080 display and external keyboard and you would not even know it's a mini.

Sorry but yes then Ipad is a great device - but it crippled with the OS and inbuilt restrictions like external support (displays, keyboard etc).

As a side note - I also like to watch movies on the mini, often in bed (yes sad I know!!!) but I find the mini brilliant for this - the keyboard rests on my chest while the display is positioned perfectly for me to view the screen holding this with well one hand while lying down and all the weight is carried by the keyboard which is resting on my chest. While the Ipad must be held elevated - I can't imagine this being comfortable after 40 odd min's.

Nope sorry Ipad great device but not for me.
  (#6) Old

Default 07-23-2010, 01:27 AM

The short and sweet for me...

Had an HP 1035 Hackintosh. Sold it and bought an IPad. The IPad was the coolest toy I have had in a long time. The key word was toy. It is definitely amazing for movies, browsing, and games. But this is where the love affair ended.

I recently sold my IPad and purchased a Mini 10v and Hackintoshed it within an hour of it arriving at the house. I could not be happier.

mini 10v-N280-1GB RAM-250GB HDD-NBI 8.4RC1-OSX 10.6.4

« An external hard drive or an external dvd writer? | !!!Bring back the Dell Outlet!!! »