General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Re-install howto? - 04-24-2010, 03:05 PM

I have a Dell Mini 10V with static hard drive runnung Ubuntu 8.04.2 and I haven't been able to update for about the past two months. I don't know if this is a stupid question but would it be better to re-install and if so how?
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 04-24-2010, 03:36 PM

What error messages do you get when attempting to update? Try running "sudo apt-get update" in a terminal (this prompts the system to query the servers for available updates, but doesn't actually install them). If it's successful, you can run "sudo apt-get upgrade" to actually upgrade everything.

If those commands don't work, what does the "/etc/apt/sources.list" file look like? In Ubuntu and related Linux distributions, it's the file that describes where to look for updates (mostly Internet servers). If it's screwed up, you'll have problems.

But reinstallation can be easier at some point. Do you want to reinstall the preinstalled "Dellbuntu"? Or regular Ubuntu? If regular Ubuntu is your goal, there's a wealth of info on the Ubuntu site. Pay particular attention to the "Installation from USB" sections (I assume you don't have a USB optical drive).

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 04-26-2010, 06:25 PM

Thank you fro your reply reflex. The 'apt' update/upgrade commands are not successful and Update Manager stops about three quarters the way through saying that it failed to fetch a long list of repositories. Double-clicking on the sources.list file opens the Update Manager so all in all a bit of a mess. But,,, thanks for the advice about re-installation.
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default 04-26-2010, 06:38 PM

Try running "cat /etc/apt/sources.list" in a terminal. It'll print the contents of the file.

Or right-click on it, and open it in a text editor to examine it (gedit is the Ubuntu equivalent to Windows Notepad).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Reverse Hackintoshing? | Why OSX? »