General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Lovely bit of intel direct from Dell - 04-21-2010, 12:44 AM

I had a Dell technician to my house today to fix an issue with my trackpad and whilst conversing with him about various things He relayed what I see as a very valuable piece of information.

It is not possible to void a warranty from Dell besides to actually break something.

he said that Dell made it a point to structure their warranty so that it would be the most user friendly toward people that wished to repair/upgrade their own machines. Dell does not care what OS you run on your machine and they don't care what parts you upgrade as long as you don't break or render any part inoperable. He did mention however that Dell most likely will decline to repair a unit that runs a different OS or utilizes different hardware outside of HDDs or memory upgrades.

I just thought I would share...
  (#2) Old

Default 04-21-2010, 02:29 AM

That's basically the same policy any computer manufacturer has. If there aren't obvious signs of moisture or other physical damage, and there are no "Warranty Void" stickers preventing disassembly, they will all repair units which are still under warranty. They may require you return the unit to the original factory shipped state or tell you that they will wipe the HD, but they can't refuse to repair it for a hardware fault no matter what OS has been installed on it before.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhurrl View Post
Dell does not care what OS you run on your machine and they don't care what parts you upgrade as long as you don't break or render any part inoperable. He did mention however that Dell most likely will decline to repair a unit that runs a different OS or utilizes different hardware outside of HDDs or memory upgrades.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 04-21-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhurrl View Post
I had a Dell technician to my house today to fix an issue with my trackpad and whilst conversing with him about various things He relayed what I see as a very valuable piece of information.

It is not possible to void a warranty from Dell besides to actually break something.

he said that Dell made it a point to structure their warranty so that it would be the most user friendly toward people that wished to repair/upgrade their own machines. Dell does not care what OS you run on your machine and they don't care what parts you upgrade as long as you don't break or render any part inoperable. He did mention however that Dell most likely will decline to repair a unit that runs a different OS or utilizes different hardware outside of HDDs or memory upgrades.

I just thought I would share...
isnt that contadictory, they say you can load another OS and they dont care, but on the other hand they say if you do, they will refuse to repair it, so what to do?...do you load OSX or whatever and if it breaks reload XP or Win 7 just to get it fixed?, if you leave OSX or whatever on it and send it back they wont fix it?....isnt that a contridiction of their terms?, in other words go ahead and do what you want just dont come to us for ANY repairs....but isnt that the same for most companies, they dont care if you modify it they just reserve the right to not fix it if you do.

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#4) Old

Default 04-21-2010, 03:14 AM

The reason they make that requirement is so they don't get caught wasting resources on a software issue, like the wireless or display issues some OSX users have noted. As for what to do, just restore the factory OS image or wipe the drive.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
isnt that contadictory, they say you can load another OS and they dont care, but on the other hand they say if you do, they will refuse to repair it, so what to do?

« SURVEY - Wireless mouse - Bluetooth vs. RF 2.4 | Mini 1012 for $244 »