General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default 04-20-2010, 08:09 PM

10+ years on the modern Mac and not even a scare. However, as much as I agree with the idea that security becomes more of an issue with Apple each year, it's been quite interesting having Widows users and friends remind me this each of these 10.

At any rate, I much prefer OSX for many of the reasons mentioned. I haven't spent much time in Windows 7, but it does seem to be a sleeker system these days.

And thanks for a great forum, BTW. I'm looking forward to receiving my first netbook (10v) sometime this week. I'll be installing OSX shortly after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhurrl View Post
The dell mini enabled me to purchase a brand new machine that will stably run OS and makes me happy.
And that's what it's all about.
  (#12) Old

Default Why OSX? (On the DM10V) - 04-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinerAl View Post
I think a lot of us bought the Minis specifically because it was an inexpensive and unique way to run our favorite operating system. If a different netbook had been a better fit for that operating system, I'd have one of them instead. The OS was the first choice, and the hardware just happened to match.
Agreed, MinerAl! Best answer!

Mini 10v - BIOS A06 - Mac OS X 10.6.3 - 1GB RAM - 1397 Wi-Fi
  (#13) Old
Administrator

Default 04-21-2010, 12:04 AM

The general answer I give is that if you know in advance you want to use OS X, and don't mind living on the edge, then hackintoshing is certainly a useful option. If it's someone who simply sees the mention of OS X and wonders about it, I'd say it's probably not for you.

What I find appalling is the folks who tell friends that they'll install OS X on their netbook and just send them on their way. It isn't too long before they come back here asking for help in recovering from an OS X update or the like. If you're going to go this route, then you really need to be involved about it.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#14) Old

Default 04-21-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
What I find appalling is the folks who tell friends that they'll install OS X on their netbook and just send them on their way. It isn't too long before they come back here asking for help in recovering from an OS X update or the like. If you're going to go this route, then you really need to be involved about it.
I couldnt agree with this statement more... ESPECIALLY the last bit
  (#15) Old

Default 04-21-2010, 04:12 AM

Awesome comments. I will have to give OSX a try. Many people are happy about their experience with it, and the dellmini9 and hpmini110 seem to be a perfect fit for the hackintosh. Hope the 1012 is just as compatible as the 9 and 10v. I will have to really take a look at these forums and learn how to setup a dual boot configuration so that I try out OSX and Win7 side by side.

Dell Mini Inspiron 910 32GB RunCore SSD, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
Dell Inspiron 1720 2x 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
https://www.facebook.com/pinto.ismael
http://gplus.to/ismaelpinto
  (#16) Old
Administrator

Default 04-21-2010, 01:22 PM

The 1012 is NOT, at present, as compatible as the 9/10v.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#17) Old

Default 04-21-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
The 1012 is NOT, at present, as compatible as the 9/10v.
This.
  (#18) Old

Default 04-21-2010, 08:08 PM

Just my 2p (or 2 cents).

I am a die-hard tech head and am among those who got a Mini because I can run OSX on it. The Mini is a type of product Apple themselves have said they would never make, but it is a great format.

I also like Windows 7, and enjoy playing with Linux, but given the choice, my choice (or personal preference) is OSX.

What worries me is that the tools used to install on these machines make it appear too easy. I have had OSX on other machines that require much less adaptation, but which take longer because you need to know what you are doing.

With tools like netbookmaker though [which is a truly amazing piece of work] the hard work is done without the user actually knowing what goes on, so when the developer moves on to another project and a new OSX 10.6.9 comes along and turn peoples "mini macbooks" into bricks there is a problem.

How many users here know exactly which kexts are patched and how, which settings are substituted, which DSDT hacks make the Mini run correctly??? And that information,because it is a few really clever developers doing the hard work, is actually pretty hard to put together for individuals. Googling for every single patch to find out what actually makes OSX work on our Minis takes a hell of a lot of time and dedication.

So while I love the Mini I have had for just over a week now I am not as confident about software upgrades as I should be. It may just be that the vogue for OSX on the Mini will turn out to be a fad as time goes on.....
  (#19) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 04-21-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minihack View Post
It may just be that the vogue for OSX on the Mini will turn out to be a fad as time goes on.....
Long Live WINDOWS!!!!!!!!! (lol)

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#20) Old

Default 04-22-2010, 01:03 AM

For me a long time windows user - I just wanted to see what all the hype was over OSX and seeing as it's rather affordable to buy a retail copy and try it was just an easy exercise.

In my view win 7 & OSX run perfectly fine on the mini - mind you so does XP, have run all three, have swapped over to OSX from win 7 only to see what my kids thought (7 & 8) they see all the TV shows with apple (or pear) logos on the computers doing all this wonderful stuff so naturally they want to try it out.

As far as installation goes both are similar in time clearly the OSX needs a bit more tweaking - win 7 I have to say is prettier, but also runs hotter - not surprising here as it needs to drive the video card more to get those pretty things on the screen. OSX is rather basic in it's view but it does run real fast - even on the std SSD it runs real quick. And to some extend that is what has impressed me is the speed of the OS. Getting programs has also been easy and figuring out out to install and uninstall is also simple.

Im not an apple fanboy by any means - but I'm kinda liking the speed of OSX which I think is faster than win 7.

Tags
jolicloud, linuxmint, osx, windows, xpud

« Re-install howto? | ??Scammer in our mist?? »