General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default 04-10-2010, 06:41 PM

I am getting my new Mini 1012 on Monday, so I am getting my Acer A150 ready to sell, but I have having trouble.

Currently it has Windows 7 Ultimate installed, but I want to put it back to the original Windows XP that it came with, unfortunately everytime it get to the part where it about to start the setup process I get BSOD.

I am using a USB DVD drive which is the same as I installed ultimate from, but as soon as it says it has finished copying the files it gives up the ghost.

I tried to install it from within Windows 7, but because its a lesser operating system I don't get the option.

Any ideas on what I could do? Ideally I would like to be able to format the drive, then hopefully I would be able to get it to work.

All help greatfully received.

Harters

Dell Mini 1012: Windows 7 Home Premium: Alpine White LCD Cover: HD True Life 1366 x 768 Screen: Broadcom Crystal HD Media Accelerator Card with SRS Surround Sound: 250 GB HDD: 6 Cell Battery: Dell 365 Bluetooth: 1.3MP Camera
  (#2) Old

Default 04-10-2010, 07:09 PM

get an ubuntu live usb. boot from it, choosing the try without installing option. let it finish loading before continuing. go to system>administration>Partition editor or gparted, whichever its called. erase all the partitions. turn off computer and install xp. bam. very easy. even though i dont understand why you wouldnt want to keep win7 on it. it might sell for more that way.

Dell Mini 10v | 160GB Hard Drive | 2GB of RAM | Windows XP | Linux Mint 8

Why should I use OS X when I can use Linux?
  (#3) Old

Default 04-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Tried that and it didn't work, so tried a full install of Ubuntu and it worked perfectly.

Now having a freshly formatted disc I tried putting XP on and yet again I get BSOD (Stop 0x0000007B). I can't understand why it doesn't like it.

UPDATE:

I have just installed Windows 7 Ultimate back on it without any problems, so why is XP being such a pain. I would sell it with Win 7, but as I only have one license for it I am not going to do that, hence why I want to get XP back on it.

Harters

Dell Mini 1012: Windows 7 Home Premium: Alpine White LCD Cover: HD True Life 1366 x 768 Screen: Broadcom Crystal HD Media Accelerator Card with SRS Surround Sound: 250 GB HDD: 6 Cell Battery: Dell 365 Bluetooth: 1.3MP Camera
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 04-11-2010, 01:50 PM

Are you using the Dell restore CD?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 04-11-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Are you using the Dell restore CD?

No I am using my own copy of XP Home. It's my Acer A150 which I am trying to get ready for resale.

From what I have been reading it may be due to it not having SP2 on it, so I am going to try and borrow a later copy. I have tried to make a new XP disk with SP2 integrated, but without much luck.

UPDATE:

Got hold of XP PRo SP3 and its going through the install process now... no BSOD - Result

Harters

« Thank you! | Zune SSD swap - anyone? »