General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default non-standard keys and our Dell Minis - 03-24-2010, 11:12 AM

So I've just now come to the realization that the Dell Minis have no number pad, let alone a separate one. And on occasion (because of taking Spanish for four years in high school) I use accented characters (eg. á, é, *, ñ, ó). So I memorized the ALT + #### code to input these special characters.

I looked up on google how to do this without a number pad, and I found this tutorial from the Teaching and Learning with Technology department at Penn State University.

Windows International Keyboard Codes

The tutorial describes how to add a second keyboard layout in Windows (the US International layout), and then it gives you examples on how to type the special characters under the new layout.

Now you don't need to keep the US-International layout as default, but it's a little handy when trying to type résumé (I hate when people type resume but they mean résumé)

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

« WOOT.COM - Razer Pro Click Mobile Bluetooth Mouse $14.99* + $5 shipping 3/17/10 | Changing the orientation of the touchpad (rotation)? »