General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to ccvjahnyyx3 Send a message via MSN to ccvjahnyyx3 Send a message via Yahoo to ccvjahnyyx3 Send a message via Skype™ to ccvjahnyyx3
Default I want to know if anyone can top this on the Dell Mini 10v - 03-09-2010, 08:07 PM

A lot of people love to multiboot, but usually that means they typically dual-boot or tri-boot. Well, eventually, at one point in my life, I got to my first quad-boot, on a 17-inch laptop (XP/Vista/Ubuntu/Leopard), then a penti-boot on a non-Dell netbook (XP/Vista/7/Ubuntu/Snow Leopard), and now for the first time, a hexa-boot (not technically: it's actually an internal penti-boot and an external single-boot) system. On my Dell Mini 10v, as you can probably tell by my signature, I boot from 6 of the best of the best operating systems, the latest and greatest of each as of now. To achieve this on my Dell Mini 10v, I initially created four partitions after initially booting up from the Windows 7 USB installation flash drive I created (I also have flash drives with installations for XP, Vista, and Snow Leopard, plus also for Chrome which I also run from, and Ubuntu, which I only use to install from within Windows 7). Then I installed Windows 7 on the third partition in order, then activated it, then I installed Snow Leopard on the fourth partition in order, then installed all necessary and critical updates, both to get it to 10.6.2, and get everything else up and running well. I had to do all that before resuming in the Windows part of it. Then I booted from the 7 flash drive, and recovered the boot options in the usual ways described in various tutorials. I also manage the boot options only using EasyBCD in Windows 7. After all that is taken care of, I then install Vista on the second partition in order, then activate it. After that, then here's the tricky part. I then install XP on the first partition in order, then after it's actually already activated (legally, though: the key on the already activated XP is genuine), I did my same old usual recovery of the Windows boot options from the 7 flash drive, then, though, I had to go back into 7, and in EasyBCD, re-add an XP boot option, but have it boot from the 7 drive in 7, not the XP drive in 7. So then all that then leaves is Ubuntu. At the beginning of all this, I had partitioned the four partitions so that the 7 partition was roughly 30GB larger than the XP, Vista, and Snow Leopard partitions, since Ubuntu allows for a max of a 30GB installation from the Wubi installer. But since I'm installing Ubuntu from within Windows 7, this next note is very crucial: first, I have to make the wubi.exe file run in compatibility mode as if it were being installed in Windows Vista SP2. This is because Windows Vista is known to be compatible with the Wubi installer, but not Windows 7. Otherwise then, booting up Ubuntu would present a GRUB-related menu that would make it even harder to get into Ubuntu. So after Ubuntu is then installed, I thus now have the five boot options in the internal penti-boot part of the overall hexa-boot. The one that isn't there, obviously, is from the Chrome OS: I can just simply boot from and run that from a 4GB USB flash drive I wrote the image of the latest Flow build to from a special program for Windows, though this can also be done in Snow Leopard and Linux as well. And that's how I came to my first hexa-boot system. Has anyone else out there ever had a Dell Mini 10v with which they've run one of as many as six operating systems at any given time?

Dell Inspiron Mini 10v, 500GB hard drive, Intel Atom N280 1.66GHz processor, 2GB RAM memory, hexa-boot: Windows XP Professional SP3, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, Windows 7 Ultimate, Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx (installed from within Windows 7), Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2, (all five of those on four combined partitions on the 500GB internal hard drive) and hexxeh's February 2010 build of Google Chrome OS "Flow" (booted from and run on a 4GB USB flash drive)
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 03-09-2010, 08:27 PM

why....would I want to?.....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 03-09-2010, 09:08 PM

Some new paragraphs would be nice.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Send a message via ICQ to jcoll81 Send a message via AIM to jcoll81 Send a message via Skype™ to jcoll81
Default 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM

This seems like an exercise in futility.

Dell Mini 10v | 1gb | 120gb HDD | OSX 10.6.2

(#5) Old

Default 03-09-2010, 11:08 PM

I run 196 distros of Linux, 3 Windows installs and Snow Leopard simultaneously. I call it a di-hecta boot.

On a more serious note, what's the point of so many operating systems? Is it really worth the space, just to say that you have them? You surely can't use them all.

I could maybe understand having XP and Vista, or XP and 7, for legacy stuff at work or something, but not all 3. (Not to mention the other 3 OS you have installed).
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 03-09-2010, 11:22 PM

not to mention the fact that Win 7 is built off of Vista so there is absolutely NO reason to have both, I have XP & Win 7 but thats for compatabilty issues not just to say "Yeah I have them"....talk about over kill and a total waste of disk space and overhead..I have 4 systems (2 servers,a laptop and the netbook) and it is a virtual nightmare trying to keep them all relatively the same or at least close, I couldnt imagine trying to keep 6 OS's up to date, at some point you start to forget where you loaded what......and in my case I have everything networked so I can move things back and forth, but when you look at your desktop and see all the icons it is sickening...for example I have Download (Server),Download (Mirror), Download (Laptop) and Download (Netbook), I try to keep them all about the same just in case...but all those OS's is just ridiculous

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

(#7) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 03-10-2010, 12:37 AM

Alright guys, cut the guy some slack. What ever happend to welcoming new members?! True, this may not be the most practical setup, but maybe he did it for personal enjoyment or to prove a point that it is possible to use a unified bootloader to run multiple OSes on a 10v!

I agree that the formatting of the thread could use some touch-up so that it is more readable. I will admit that I had to stop reading half way through because it was a massive block of text and I could not follow the train of thought. When writing any sort of guide it is always nice to have a nice flow and thought process (bulleted lists, screenshots, links) so that the reader does not lose interest and get lost in a block of text.

That being said. Welcome to MyDellMini forums and congratulations on the setup. Would you mind cleaning up your post so we can more easily understand the steps you took?!

Although I agree with other members that this is not the most practical setup (due to redundancy and overlapping features of XP, Vista and Windows 7) I also think that it is intriguing.

I think that members need to remember their roots and not have a sense of entitlement and arrogance... nobody is better than anyone else. Everyone was a beginner at some point, at least the OP had the courage to stand up and share with the community, which is better than I can say about most members whose posts are utterly useless.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-10-2010, 01:37 AM

ok BMcclure, point taken....but also take in to consideration that the title of the post " I want to know if anyone can top this on the Dell Mini 10v" is just about an open invitation to the forum to see if anyone can top him....you gotta expect some pretty honest opinions in what people even think about what it is that is expected to be topped.....you may close the thread now........

(#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 03-10-2010, 01:47 AM

This is true. I agree that the title of the thread is not very welcoming itself... and I was not trying to target any specific members with my response. So please do not take offense. I have just noticed a lot of poor attitudes lately (which is not how I remembered the forums being).

I agree this thread should be closed if the OP does not get cleaned up so that it is readable... but I will allow some time for that to take place.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#10) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 03-10-2010, 07:50 AM

welcome to the forum!

I dual boot Win 7 Pro and Fedora 11. lol

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Tags
hexa boot xp osx chrome

« FYI...Mention the word apple or mac and see your ebay listing of a mini end | Microvision Show WX, Perfect for Mini? »