General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default vnc while playing movies - 03-02-2010, 06:24 PM

Basically I have a netbook (that should show up here in about 3 hours) and my main desktop. I have my desktop setup to play movies on my 37" HDTV. the desktop's specs are in my sig (the custom-built one).

I would like to create a VNC connection from the netbook to the desktop, essentially making my 10v a really big remote control for my desktop.

Anybody know of any easy ways to do this? and if I would be able to VNC into the computer while it's playing movies on my HDTV?

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  (#2) Old

Default 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM

Yes, VNC would do what you want. Install the server on the TV machine, connect from the 10v.

I do the same thing with Apple Screen Sharing between my macs (and sometimes a Win7 box to the TV mac). That is essentially a VNC connection.
  (#3) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 03-04-2010, 01:06 AM

Well, I tried it with Remote Desktop Connection between my 10v and the desktop (they both run Windows 7 Pro, just desktop runs x64 version) and it didn't work. Well it did, but it didn't keep the video on the TV, it transfered the video and sound to the netbook. :\

I wanted it so the desktop would keep the video on the TV, yet relenquish the one display output to my netbook. I'll keep playing around with it though.

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

« anyone have any recomendations on a <14/under 6lb in laptop?? | PS3 calender bug »