General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Encrypted ITUNES Files - 12-30-2008, 02:07 AM

The problem with burning iTMS music to CD and ripping it back is the same as Faxing a previously faxed document. You're taking a lossy 128k audio, and then recompressing it into another lossy format. Maybe you're using FLAC or something lossless to recapture it, but then you're stuck with a HUGE copy of a previously lossy compressed file.. Sub optimal..

I like the convenience and immediacy of the iTMS. There have been times when the songs I wanted weren't available, maybe too obscure, maybe one of the 5 artists that won't sell there.. In that case, I usually buy a used copy of the CD from Amazon for less than a buck and rip from that to my digital collection. heh Can you tell I think those artists are idiots? How much money would they have made from my purchase at the iTMS, vs how much they made when I bought a used CD.. Whatever..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Encrypted ITUNES Files - 12-30-2008, 02:49 AM

I either rip my own CDs, or buy digital music from sources that do not use DRM (a la Amazon). I don't want to mess around removing DRM from music files. Screw iTunes!

~jeff
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Encrypted ITUNES Files - 12-30-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostone
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinoxShadow
Whenever I purchase from iTunes, I burn the music to cd. There's more to this story, but can't discuss it here. =)
Amazing waste of resources and time. To buy DRM digital music and burn CD then rip CD back to DRM free digital music.

CD's are cheap but still a waste.

The solution is simple don't buy DRM products period.

Really Amazing.

I wonder if you could setup a virtual CD like under Linux that would be really cool, and not waste any resources but maybe some time though.
It's not a waste of time for me to do that because now not only do I have DRM free music, I also have a CD backup just in case I have a hard drive failure. I do that with all music files, DRM free or not.

I do agree with you that everyone should avoid DRM products, however the op already has the protected music that he has purchased. I was merely providing a solution that would help fix his situation.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Encrypted ITUNES Files - 12-30-2008, 08:44 PM

What you can easily do and is 100% legal, is retrieve the aac from inside the ipod (you can ask itunes to mount the ipod drive as external drive). All encrypted aac are unencripted before putting them on an ipod, becuase the chipset inside the ipod can not read encrypted songs. However, there is stil you apple account id in the aac file.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Encrypted ITUNES Files - 12-31-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostone
Quote:
Whenever I purchase from iTunes, I burn the music to cd. There's more to this story, but can't discuss it here. =)
Amazing waste of resources and time. To buy DRM digital music and burn CD then rip CD back to DRM free digital music.

CD's are cheap but still a waste.

The solution is simple don't buy DRM products period.

Really Amazing.

I wonder if you could setup a virtual CD like under Linux that would be really cool, and not waste any resources but maybe some time though.
It's not a waste of time for me to do that because now not only do I have DRM free music, I also have a CD backup just in case I have a hard drive failure. I do that with all music files, DRM free or not.

I do agree with you that everyone should avoid DRM products, however the op already has the protected music that he has purchased. I was merely providing a solution that would help fix his situation.
Did you miss the part about using a 128kb file?
  (#16) Old

Send a message via AIM to jeffburg
Default Re: Encrypted ITUNES Files - 12-31-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpph
What you can easily do and is 100% legal, is retrieve the aac from inside the ipod (you can ask itunes to mount the ipod drive as external drive). All encrypted aac are unencripted before putting them on an ipod, becuase the chipset inside the ipod can not read encrypted songs. However, there is stil you apple account id in the aac file.
as far as i know, this is not true. everyone would do that if they could. You may have just purchased iTunes+ Music without knowing.

-Jeff
Mini9 Black/32GB RunCore/1GB/BT/Leopard
2.4GHz Aluminum iMac/320GB/4GB/Leopard
1.83GHz White iMac/150GB/1.5GB/Leopard Server
733MHz PowerMac G4 40GB/512MB/Tiger Server
500MHz PowerBook G3 40GB/1GB/Tiger
25MHz NeXT Cube 750MB/16MB/NeXTSTEP 3.3
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Encrypted ITUNES Files - 12-31-2008, 01:33 PM

I did this long time ago, with a 3rd gen 20GB Ipod (no color screen). Itunes+ didn't existed that time. I remember I had to copy files with the help of the terminal because folder was hidden in the Finder...
But I have heard that newest ipod doesn't allow you anymore to use them as external usb drive..
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Encrypted ITUNES Files - 12-31-2008, 02:06 PM

I have a brand-new iPod Nano and an ancient iPod 3G right here in front of me. On Linux, the Nano shows up as a USB drive, and the 3G as a FireWire drive.

I have just copied m4p files off both of them. Both files are still encrypted.

-Doug
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Encrypted ITUNES Files - 12-31-2008, 02:21 PM

perhaps an iTunes update chenged this then... But it really worked that time.
Sorry for the misinformation .
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Encrypted ITUNES Files - 01-01-2009, 07:22 AM

Digital music makes me so angry. The best thing you can do is go support your locally owned record shop (which has probably been hurting since the invention of the iPod) and buy much cheaper new and used cds. That way you can rip it to whatever format you feel like as many times you want. Or just make the world better and go back to vinyl :mrgreen:

« SSD drive for my other Dell laptop? | Useful Links and Just For Fun »