General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default anyone have any recomendations on a <14/under 6lb in laptop?? - 02-22-2010, 04:17 AM

What is your budget? $700 at the absolute most, I would prefer to spend under $600

What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? under 14in, but I will consider larger if its a lighter model

How much battery life do you need? around 3hrs

Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I want to play games like COD4/mass effect 2 without crashing on min specs

How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 80gb

What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc? don't need/want one

Please tell us any additional information if needed.
looks good= better
  (#2) Old

Default 02-22-2010, 07:21 PM

I love my Studio 14z, and I see that the base model is down to $599 (possibly because they're getting ready to introduce a model with the new Core i5/i7 processor?). You could probably do even better than that if you're willing/able to wait for a coupon good on a refurb from Dell Outlet.

The key features for me are the optional backlit keyboard (IMO, the best $25 upgrade ever!), fast Core 2 Duo processor, battery life (I can get about 6 hours out of the 8 cell battery with normal Internet/word processing use; I'm sure it would be less when gaming or watching a lot of video), HDMI, and high-quality speakers.

My friend just picked up a new 14" Toshiba Satellite from Best Buy (one of their Blue Label deals), and I have to admit it's pretty sweet too. Unfortunately, it's out of your price range unless it goes on sale (current price is $899). It has the new i5 processor and comes with Intel Wireless Display, which is really nice.

ETA: My brother's Sony Vaio SR590 seems nice too, but I haven't really spent much time with it. Also, I'm pretty sure that would be above your price range too (Sony's website lists the SR series as starting at $939).
  (#3) Old

Default 02-24-2010, 03:07 PM

Laurie,

Did you hackintosh your 14z? Im thinking about getting one to put osx on.

thanks
doug

mini 10v | Red | 160gb | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 final | bios 06 |

Desktop: Amd 965 @ 3.9Ghz | 4gb ddr3 @ 1333mHz | Ati 4890 2gb Vapor-x | 2x V-Raptor 150gb Raid0 | HT Omega Striker |
  (#4) Old

Default 02-24-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddehr026 View Post
Laurie,

Did you hackintosh your 14z? Im thinking about getting one to put osx on.

thanks
doug
Nope, I'm still running Win7 on the 14z. I haven't tackled a hackintosh project yet, and I think if I ever try, it will be on my 10v. If I screw something up and can't fix it, it's a lot cheaper to replace! ;-)
  (#5) Old

Default 02-28-2010, 03:06 AM

going with used or refurbish notebook with warranty will save you money. Try Dell Outlet. There are different deals at different times.

Dell Mini Inspiron 910 32GB RunCore SSD, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
Dell Inspiron 1720 2x 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
https://www.facebook.com/pinto.ismael
http://gplus.to/ismaelpinto

« 14z and OSX | vnc while playing movies »