General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default PC Pro Article on how to Playback HD Videos on Netbooks - 02-19-2010, 04:20 PM

I stumbled across this article today and thought I would give MPC Home Cinema with CoreAVC a try as HD playback, unsurprisingly is quite poor on my Mini9. I was very surprised to find that after following the guide and testing it out with a 720p trailer and 720p 'The Prisoner' (TV Show) rip that there was no stutter or audio/video lag or blockiness at all.

How to play HD video on a netbook | PC Pro blog

I'm not sure if this is something that everyone else has done, but I found it to be very useful indeed. I haven't tried any 1080p videos and probably won't due to the small size of the screen, but I'd like to know if anyone else has the same result.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#2) Old

Default 02-20-2010, 03:57 PM

I'll give this a go. Cheers for the info. CoreAVC is usually ten dollars but if you have a hunt about it's available free online.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#3) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 02-20-2010, 11:50 PM

No problem. I think that for $10 it really is worth the money.

After spending the last day or so trying out media on the Mini9 I have found out a few things:

- 720p Video works pretty much fine on the netbook, though after about half an hour or so of watching there is a very small amount of stutter every so often, though never at an unwatchable level. This is much worse when trying to watch on an external monitor (or TV as I tried) though turning off CPU-using applications and WLAN can help performance out quite significantly.

- 1080p video on the netbook screen like lower resolutions really is handled quite well, though only for shorter (about 10-15 minutes for me) periods of time.

- I think some of these problems are due to overheating, despite leaving the netbook open, placed on an elevated metal tray. If you are planning on watching HD content on your Mini I would recommend MPC Home Cinema being the only application open.

Overall this does allow a decent level of HD-quality playback on the device itself (SD video has always been fine for me outputting to a TV/Monitor).

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta

« Coupons \ Discount for Latitude 2100 | found a place for dell parts. »