General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Reverse Hackintoshing? - 02-13-2010, 08:02 AM

Hey I know a lot of people who own PCs and hackintosh them with a Mac OS. I wonder if Apple owners ever dual boot using a Windows OS like Win 7. I watch a tutorial on apple's site and apperently they've already thought of that and designed there OS so you can easily dual boot if you want to add Win 7. It's deffinately something I'm goingto keep under consideration when deciding if I really want to spend the money and get a 13 in MacBook Pro.
  (#2) Old

Default 02-13-2010, 11:22 AM

why would you want to use windows?

u can use boot camp. but windows sux
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 02-13-2010, 01:51 PM

Lots of Mac users dual boot Windows. Boot Camp just updated to support Windows 7.

And Windows does not "sux" any more than OS X does.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 02-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Google it - plenty of answers out there. Here's Apple's own support info: Boot Camp: Windows 7 installation frequently asked questions. If you're posting here because you have a hackintosh, there's a dual booting section here: Operating Systems - Dual Booting at MyDellMini

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4
  (#5) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 02-13-2010, 02:23 PM

I have quite a few clients that dual boot Windows on their Macbooks for business use, especially accountants and those in the financial markets, because much of the software is Windows-based.

It's a loooooong stretch to call it "reverse-hackintoshing" though. Microsoft will let you run their operating system on any Intel hardware once you buy a copy. Shame another company can't do that...

Getting an iPad
  (#6) Old

Default 02-14-2010, 01:29 AM

There's Boot Camp and Parallels. Parallels allows you to run Windows inside a Mac Window, running both OS's at the same time.
  (#7) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 02-14-2010, 10:57 AM

My friend uses bootcamp to run win 7 for steam.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#8) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 02-14-2010, 05:19 PM

although if I remember correctly boot camp doesn't really work all that well on the hackintoshes, and so you're better off dual booting with chameleon.

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  (#9) Old

Default 02-14-2010, 07:23 PM

If you own a Mac OSX hardware/software combination, you can use BootCamp and run Windows native. Why? Because a lot of applications the real world uses isn't written for OSX natively.

Or...if you just need lightweight Windows access, you can run Parallels (which cost $$ I think) and you can fake all Windows programs running under Parallels to look like if they were running inside OSX. This is software virtualization of Windows OS while running OSX. It is not optimal and it will not do well with Windows programs/games that require hardware acceleration or lots of memory to run.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
although if I remember correctly boot camp doesn't really work all that well on the hackintoshes, and so you're better off dual booting with chameleon.

The Hackintoshes out there have a hard time running BootCamp. Also running Parallels is almost impossible on a Hackintosh.

Mini 10v
  (#10) Old

Send a message via AIM to atm153 Send a message via Skype™ to atm153
Default 02-14-2010, 09:52 PM

Parallels runs perfectly on my A90. As does VMWare Fusion. I primarily use my XP VM for the rare program that absolutely needs windows, it's just more convenient than a full partition.

« which mini? | Re-install howto? »