General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Is the 13 inch MacBook Pro a Netbook? MacBook VS Dell 11z and Alienware M11x - 02-13-2010, 01:44 AM

I'm wondering what exactly deffines a Netbook...First some people said it had to be a computer with a screen at or under 10 inches...Then the dell 11z came out. Others said it had to have a atom processor but now with Alienware M11z it has and option for a dual-core. I'm wondering if adding an internal optical drive to a future netbook will disqualify it from being a netbook? Will the final deffinition of a netbook be it's size?

If so could Apple's MacBook Pro be considered the Ultimate Netbook? It does have a 13 in. screen and an internal optical drive but it's dimensions are - 12.78" wide by .95" tall and 8.94" deep.

Compare that to Dell's 11z with it's dimensions at 11.5" wide (1.2" smaller than the MacBook) its heigth at tallest point 1.02" (.07 taller than the MacBook) and its depth at 8.43" (.51 inch shorter than the Macbook)

When compared to Alienwares new M11x. Its dimensions are - 11.25" wide (1.75" smaller than the MacBook) its heigth is 1.29" (.34" taller than the Macbook) and it's depth is 9.19" (.25" deeper than Macbook Pro)

If you look at just the amount of volume these computers will take up you see something interesting -

13" MacBook Pro is 108.54" in volume.

Alienware's M11x is 133.7" in volume - 25.16 cubic inches larger then MacBook Pro plus let's say another 25 cubic inches if you add an average external optical drive. That's 50 extra inches in volume.

Dell's 11z is 98.88" in volume. That means it's only 9.67 cubic inches smaller and it loses it's edge by around 15" inches cubed when you add a external optical drive.

Even Dell's Mini 10 barely beats out a 13 MacBook when it comes to volume once you add a ext. o.d. It only is 2.25" cubed smaller.

I know that a lot of people like "netbooks" because how cheap they are but if you had the money to spend wouldn't you want a machine that's self contained and powerful? Even as powerful as the Alienware M11x is I the 13 inch MacBook Pro beats it in terms of the processor and memory...In fact I didn't really see a lot from that M11x that out competes the MacBook. I'm just wondering am I wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro.jpg  
  (#2) Old

Default 02-13-2010, 01:55 AM

I don't have an exact definition of a netbook, but I know one when I see one.

A Macbook is not a netbook.

Vostro a90 | 0.3mp | 16GB | 1GB RAM | Windows XP
Dell Mini 9 | 0.3mp | 8GB | 1GB RAM | Windows XP
  (#3) Old

Default 02-13-2010, 02:27 AM

I can understand that way of thinking and what attracted me most was the netbook classes portability. If I can get the same portability and size with a larger screen and a internal optical drive with all the power of a full sized notebook then I want to go for it.
  (#4) Old

Default 02-13-2010, 02:53 PM

What you're describing is a portable or ultra portable. Netbooks are small computers which utilize low wattage components so that the device can significantly save battery life and size. Often considered "companion devices" as these will add a significant bit of convenience to you for email, documents and light surfing. However, they are not designed or intended to be a do all "laptop"

A netbook is not a cheap small laptop. A Vostro 1320 and XPS M1210 are examples of cheap small laptops.

An m11x is a very expensive portable.

Quote:
I know that a lot of people like "netbooks" because how cheap they are but if you had the money to spend wouldn't you want a machine that's self contained and powerful? Even as powerful as the Alienware M11x is I the 13 inch MacBook Pro beats it in terms of the processor and memory...In fact I didn't really see a lot from that M11x that out competes the MacBook. I'm just wondering am I wrong?
Not wrong, but I do not want a do all/end all laptop. I have a very strong desktop... I want a NETBOOK for convenience, like most of us. Something light, small foot print (like you described) and will run on battery for hours and hours.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit
  (#5) Old

Default 02-13-2010, 07:26 PM

How long is the battery supposed to last for a netbook? the MacBooks battery is supposed to last 7 hours while being used...
  (#6) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 02-13-2010, 07:30 PM

That's like asking how far should a truck go on a tank of gas. What make/model of truck?

Netbook manufacturers all have different battery capacity targets, based on weight/size/processor & video demands.

You need to research and pick one suitable for your needs.

Getting an iPad
  (#7) Old

Default 02-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Hey I'm just for a ball park figure of course all netbook models will have an average range..
  (#8) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 02-13-2010, 08:00 PM

Why? Are you writing a paper on the subject?

Getting an iPad
  (#9) Old

Default 02-13-2010, 08:07 PM

I'm curious...I think dell could learn a thing or two from apple. They managed to create something that's in the average range of a netbook as far as size but that's a complete powerful computer with a huge screen compared to its size and has a long battery life...7 hours of actually using it. It would be like asking you if Windows was so great why dual boot SL?
  (#10) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 02-13-2010, 08:25 PM

Let me know when Apple starts selling that for around $300.

I dual-boot SL because I'm a network engineer and I occasionally need a Mac to check things out from a Mac perspective, because in the real world, their stuff isn't as interoperable as advertised.

Getting an iPad

« SSD Sales/Reviews | Dell Website Problems? »