General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default 02-13-2010, 08:45 PM

See you just missed the piont I think dell could just use a mac perspective when looking at things. Everyone knows that a good chunk of the money you spend on a mac is for the name. Maybe Dell could get some inspiration and use some of the ideas to make a better netbook...It might cost a little more but I think people would pay the extra amount. They wouldn't even need to get rid of the mini 10 just redp the 11z or alienware m11x...
  (#12) Old

Default 02-13-2010, 08:59 PM

I don't know how you can look at a 13 inch Macbook Pro and say that it's in the same size range as a netbook.

Vostro a90 | 0.3mp | 16GB | 1GB RAM | Windows XP
Dell Mini 9 | 0.3mp | 8GB | 1GB RAM | Windows XP
  (#13) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 02-13-2010, 09:03 PM

A better netbook is a laptop. At that point you have dozens of models to choose from with Dell. Everything from indestructible tanks down to ultraportables.

If you look at all the people hackintoshing Mini 10vs (and other sub-$500 netbooks) into portable Macs, many of them have Macs at home. Maybe Apple needs to take a lesson from their customers or Dell, and not the other way around.

Getting an iPad
  (#14) Old

Default 02-13-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_25 View Post
It would be like asking you if Windows was so great why dual boot SL?
my answer .. it's just for fun & windows was not so great
- win 7 - bluetooth transfer, click ready receive files everytime, OMG !!! - hate this -
windows to much viruzzzz killing all my data....

hackintosh - SL it's "FUN"
  (#15) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 02-14-2010, 05:25 PM

I agree with WolfKeeper on this one. A netbook is a small portable low-power device that was originally designed for simple tasks such as e-mail & web surfing. They have advanced a little bit to allow decent word processing and possible low-quality movies/music. Those who use their netbook for more than that realize it but they also realize what a netbook is supposed to be.

I think a MacBook Pro is a laptop. Not based on size, or battery life, but the power it has. Maybe if Apple made a low-power 10-13" MacBook Air that might work.

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  (#16) Old

Default 02-14-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I'm curious...I think dell could learn a thing or two from apple. They managed to create something that's in the average range of a netbook as far as size but that's a complete powerful computer with a huge screen compared to its size and has a long battery life...7 hours of actually using it. It would be like asking you if Windows was so great why dual boot SL?

A netbook is not suppose to have an internal optical drive.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Quote:
See you just missed the piont I think dell could just use a mac perspective when looking at things. Everyone knows that a good chunk of the money you spend on a mac is for the name. Maybe Dell could get some inspiration and use some of the ideas to make a better netbook...It might cost a little more but I think people would pay the extra amount. They wouldn't even need to get rid of the mini 10 just redp the 11z or alienware m11x...
13" MacBook just a small expensive full fledge pretty laptop running OSX.

The MacBook air..that is a 'laptop' that might be considered a netbook because it doesn't have an optical drive.

If I wanted to spend a lot of money, then I would consider a Mac that would run BootCamp or Parallels so I can get my Windows apps.

Dell and other non Apple laptop/netbook makers aren't going to play in the Mac sandbox and develop a full fledge low profile netbook/laptop and try to compete with Apple a those prices.

Really you have two lines of thoughts here..

1) What would you spend a lot of money on a Mac or would you save your money and spend it on a Windows laptop/netbook?

This really depends. If I had money to spend, I would buy a MBP and make sure Bootcamp is running on it, because most my of apps/games need Windows. In the end, I would spend most of my time in the Windows environment, so I might as well look to buy a non Apple computer and save my money.

Now, if I were traveling/on the go and only needed access to internet apps and light office-app work, then I would purchase a secondary to my main laptop/desktop purchase and look to get a netbook (w/o optical drive)

2) What defines a netbook and what is the line that crosses you over to a laptop?

I think the main stream considerations are 10" screen, non-fullsized keyboard, and no optical drive; low-power or the battery life is also part of the consideration - Dell 10v 3-cell give you 3 hours, 6-cell gives you 7 hours

Mini 10v
  (#17) Old

Default 04-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
Let me know when Apple starts selling that for around $300.

I dual-boot SL because I'm a network engineer and I occasionally need a Mac to check things out from a Mac perspective, because in the real world, their stuff isn't as interoperable as advertised.
Amen.

Cheers,
Charlie

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Quote:
I can understand that way of thinking and what attracted me most was the netbook classes portability. If I can get the same portability and size with a larger screen and a internal optical drive with all the power of a full sized notebook then I want to go for it.
The M11x is a unique product in that it is targeted to work similarly to its much bigger cousin, the M15x. We've all seen netbooks so much in the last 2 years that the M11x's size tends to make us want to dub it a netbook with benefits. However, this isn't the case. We don't have a qualification yet for notebooks that do what the M11x does. It plays Borderlands @ 1366x768 in medium settings very well. What other portables can claim that now @ 11.6" screen dimensions? I understand that volume comparison, which actually is quite interesting to me. But you can't tell me that the same volume of wood in a 10 x 2.5 x 10 would be the same to carry as a 5 x 5 x 5. The distribution of the volume is everything. My issue is, like many others here, that I don't want to lug around a huge laptop when I go mobile. That defeats the whole purpose of a "portable." I have a powerful desktop at home for stuff that needs the extra "oomph" and my laptop can run for 6-7 hours on integrated graphics while I work on VS or surf the Web. It can also handle most games out there too. A perfect balance IMHO.

Comparison is a tricky thing because not all similar aspects of a Macbook Pro and an M11x are equal enough to compare. The volume of the M11x, while more than the Macbook Pro (133 vs. 108 IIRC) is distributed in such a way as to seem less even if it isn't. The fact that it is distributed in a more compact WxD form factor makes it infinitely more portable than the MBP.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in on that one. And by the way, the MBP is much more powerful with a 2.4GHz C2D and the optical drive is nice too. The M11x is not for someone who needs that performance and the optical drive, or for someone that wants OSX.

Cheers,
Charlie

True mercy is never earned.

Desktop: Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz (unlocked to X6)|8GB 1600 DDR3|500GB|Radeon HD 6750|Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Notebook: Inspiron 1121|Core i3-330UM|8GB 800 DDR3|320GB|Intel HD Graphics|Windows 7 Pro x64
  (#18) Old

Default 04-13-2010, 09:13 PM

hehe

And now from the way back machine...

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit
  (#19) Old

Default 04-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Yeah, like WolfKeeper said. A netbook nowadays is more about the use of minimal power to achieve an acceptable level of performance from the processor and other components - that's why a netbook is generally considered to only have atom. High battery-life and to a lesser extent, screen size, is a result of that.

In marketing terms, the term netbook can also be considered to be a name given to any laptop computer designed for a specific type of person or use case - like as small, light and portable notebook within a given price bracket; used as a person's 3rd computer, with minimal power consumption that's only used for email, web browsing and light word processing. Differentiating it from larger laptops, like the Macbook. Tablets and some ultraportables.

The real answer is: a netbook is whatever individual manufacturers say it is. Or more precisely,what the marketing team at manufacturers say it is.

Oh, and the lines of netbook were being blurred from as early as the mini 12 - which I think first raised the question of netbook vs. ultra-portable vs. notebook.
  (#20) Old

Default 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM

I would say size is one point, but weight is also something to think about. the macbook pro 13" weights 2,54kg, a dell mini 10v only 1,1kg.
that is a huge difference. and for me it was one of the reasons why I use my mini instead of my 13" macbook, when on the road.

and I still think there is a big difference in size, between the macbook and the 10v. just look at this picture...

anyone trying to say that a macbook is the same size as a 10v is either blind or a moron.

« SSD Sales/Reviews | Dell Website Problems? »