General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default 9 or 10v? - 01-29-2010, 10:12 AM

Alright, I just got me a 9, mainly for the SSD. I was pretty psyched about trying out some newer technology. I also thought it was pretty neat how the netbook itself is almost pocket sized. But those things wore away pretty quickly and now I want to trade for the 10v. Thing is, OSX runs pretty well on this one, but I'm having some huge space problems on the SSD, and it's really expensive upgrading to a slightly larger drive, hence why I want the 10v. So I was wondering if there's any reason to not upgrade to the 10v? Does the 9 have any kind of advantages over the 10v? Like better compatibility with OSX?
  (#2) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 12:31 PM

I think the biggest problem with the 10V is the trackpad. The 9's is great with traditional left and right buttons while the 10V's has integrated buttons and sensitivity issues. There are some work-arounds. Both run OS X equally as well.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#3) Old

Default take the 10v - 01-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Hi,

the only thing thats not so nice on the 10v is the boottime, its almost slower then the mini9.

The Trackpad is no problem if you use 2 and three finger clicks, works perfect for me, i dont have to use the buttons.
And perhaps you always use a mouse, then it is not the thing too.

The 10v dont have the mic problems like the mini9, everthing works on the 10v, without playing around much, if you use the nbi0.8.3

Much luck and fun with the miniBigbrother

mini10v | 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSDNOW V-Series | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | A06 | BT:no | WAKEn LEGACYff
  (#4) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 02:45 PM

No mic problems on the Mini9, just stick with Leopard and the Dell EFI and you won't have to tweak anything. Snow Leopard was about as an exciting release as the iPad.......*yawn*....

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#5) Old

Default 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Well, that sucks. That trackpad looks like it could be a deal breaker. I like to use my laptop as a portable device, and as such don't spend much time plugging mice into it, even portable ones require me carrying something extra around. Two finger right clicks aren't too reliable on OSX, unless it changed with the 10v, and double clicking requires me to tap the device three times, and dragging is a pain. I would have to try to utilize those pseudo buttons, even though I was reading of problems with unintended motions. I also want to use other OSes and don't know how it would play out with those. But it's just so hard using such a small hard drive. Stupid Dell and their stupid ideas.
  (#6) Old

Default 02-01-2010, 03:02 AM

i would go with the mini 9. a small hard drive aint a big deal. majority already carry hard drives without even knowing it. iPhones,mp3 players etc can be used for a media drive. as for docs,it aint hard to carry round a thumb drive. heck u can even use your micro sd cards from cell phones. plus at least with ssd it quiet and can handle falls quite well. Also it aint a pain to mod a 9 compare to the stress of the 10

« Waveface Ultra: Asus web-connected smartphone bracelet | Wacom Bamboo Pen/Touch »