General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#21) Old

Default 01-28-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
I disagree. There are plenty of people that want a bigger iPhone/iPod Touch, me included. This fills that hole really nicely.

I would continue to use both an iPad and my netbook. There are a number of things I would rather use the netbook for in my day to day work, especially anything that is going to involve alot of typing. And iWork still doesn't replace Office.
But what if you didn't have a netbook as most Apple users don't? It's a total disaster to own a MBP, an iPhone, and then be shown this product to bridge that gap?!! With this product Apple has focused almost solely not on innovation, but on how to lock people into only using content purchased from iTunes. Ridiculous. Long live the OS X Dell Mini....thank you thank you!!!!

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#22) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 01-28-2010, 05:09 AM

Um, what are you talking about? I have about 80GB of music. I might have bought about a dozen CDs worth *at most* from iTunes. You can put stuff on your iPod or iPad that's not bought from Apple. You know, ripped from actual CDs/DVDs you already own?

Getting an iPad
  (#23) Old

Default 01-28-2010, 05:50 AM

Without even a USB how would you easily transfer movies from an external HD to it before hitting the road? I'll have to study it a bit, but I do all kinds of things while traveling with the Mini that could never be done with the iPad. That's what I'm really saying, it just does nothing to fill the hole between the MBP and iPhone. On my last trip I mac-the-rippered some movies I bought onto the Mini to watch on my return trip home, things like that. What would I have had to do......buy the movies from the iTunes store right? And if it weren't for this site I'd have no choice but to lug a MBP around for the rest of my days!! They completely missed the boat.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#24) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 01-28-2010, 05:59 AM

You could have done the same thing with this iPad, though suffering from the letterboxed 1024x768 display [too bad it is not widescreen]

Anyhow, you could have used Handbrake to convert your rips into a friendly format for the iPad and then loaded them on. Same thing you would do for iPhone or iPod Touch.

I totally agree with you that the iPad does not bridge the gap between a smartphone and a full sized laptop... but that is not the intention. The iPad has a limited market and will only appeal to those people who fall into that market. I am sure that once developers get their hands on the SDK that the iPad will become more useful. For now, it is a glorified eBook reader / iPod touch with a big screen.

*still wishing there was multitasking and more of a hybrid SL/iPhone OS on the device... something intuitive for a tablet and with a simple interface but also with more functionality of a full-featured OS*

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#25) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 01-28-2010, 05:59 AM

I put movies and TV shows on my iPod that I don't buy from iTunes. What's the big deal? Handbrake and then drop them in Tunes.

Here's where I'm coming from. I have a Blackberry, and love it. For corporate e-mail, I would never trade it for a iPhone. I have an iPod Touch as well, which is used not only for music, but for reading my RSS feeds via Google Reader. I would LOVE something that's got a "standard" sized screen for extended reading of those feeds, away from my computer, usually away from home and Internet connectivity. This is ideal for me, and the $30/month Internet access is cheaper than anything else out there for nationwide service, outside of tethering a phone that already has service.

Getting an iPad
  (#26) Old

Default 01-28-2010, 06:34 AM

Desktop, Dell Mini and an iPhone keep me well occupied.

I like the concept of a tablet. However, as someone who hates itunes with a passion and is pretty much forced into using it to attain all the features of his phone, I don't want to have the same problems with a tablet.

To me the iPad seems cool, but as I own an iphone, I can't really justify buying an iPad simply for the larger screen size and some better looking apps.

I would look into buying it if my uni books were able to be purchased on it. Then I would probably buy it in a heartbeat.
  (#27) Old

Default 01-28-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
I totally agree with you that the iPad does not bridge the gap between a smartphone and a full sized laptop... but that is not the intention. The iPad has a limited market and will only appeal to those people who fall into that market. I am sure that once developers get their hands on the SDK that the iPad will become more useful. For now, it is a glorified eBook reader / iPod touch with a big screen.

*still wishing there was multitasking and more of a hybrid SL/iPhone OS on the device... something intuitive for a tablet and with a simple interface but also with more functionality of a full-featured OS*
Wait a sec. I just watched the entire keynote and I think that was exactly their intention, have you seen it? iPhone on the left, big question mark Ahem, supposedly filled by the iPad in the middle, and the MBP on the right. Of course it was their intention!!!

I hear what you guys are saying, but I would also never leave the house on a trip with only the iPad, no way, the Mini would have to go too, which, for me, totally defeats the purpose.

@wolfkeeper, would you leave your mini behind if having the iPad?

Mini 10V

(#28) Old

Default 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM

The iPad was supposed to be a revolutionary "white space" product. It isn't and I think that's why everybody is disappointed in it. It's a big iTouch. It does lots of things but it doesn't do anything better than something else that's already out there. I guess the target customer is someone who reads e-books but also wants to surf the web, listen to some music or watch videos (but not at the same time). Personally, I don't see the large void that the iPad is trying to fill. In my opinion, the netbook fills the hole between the BlackBerry (or iPhone or whatever you have) and the desktop just fine. In fact, with a netbook and a smartphone there are very few things that I do in my daily (non-work) life where I would need another electronic device.

-=|| Mini10v | 2GB | 120GB | BT | Win7 Pro | OSX 10.6.2 ||=-
  (#29) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothtyper View Post
@wolfkeeper, would you leave your mini behind if having the iPad?
Depends where I'm going. I can see situations where it can replace my Mini very easily.

Getting an iPad
  (#30) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 01-28-2010, 06:10 PM

I'm with bmcclure937. If it was widescreen, either multi-tasking or more like a custom Snow Leopard OS, and if it had flash...then maybe I'd get one instead of a netbook. But as it stands now, sure I can surf the web, listen to my music, and even type up papers (even though typing on an iPhone/iPod touch/iPad would be kinda annoying) and I can play games on it, but I can't do nearly as many things as I want with a netbook.

Maybe in the future...

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

« Startup Entry - OA012Mon -- Needed? | Dell 10 or 10v? »