General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM

I disagree. There are plenty of people that want a bigger iPhone/iPod Touch, me included. This fills that hole really nicely.

I would continue to use both an iPad and my netbook. There are a number of things I would rather use the netbook for in my day to day work, especially anything that is going to involve alot of typing. And iWork still doesn't replace Office.

Getting an iPad
  (#12) Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-27-2010, 08:32 PM

While I disagree that many people want a bigger iPhone (although it's possible), I would agree with the Touch though. I don't want a huge phone in my pocket, and in reality, the iPhone for me is just about perfect.

Where I have gripes with it (besides the fact that it's not that amazing to me) is that I want a standard desktop feel. Kind of like with what Ubuntu did with the netbook remix. Yeah, there's the default, but you can revert to making it feel like a regular desktop.

The other thing is if it follows Apple's completely assinine iTunes store policies. I don't know that it will/does, so I'm speculating. If it does though, I hope they get their act together.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#13) Old

Default 01-27-2010, 09:07 PM

Its nice. Jail broken..it won't be so expensive to maintain..with all those ebooks and apps and music.

It isn't a phone and it won't replace the small form factor netbook pc.

I don't like stealing screen space for typing. Come on..all that beautiful screen space and 1/3 gone for typing.

all the apps they showed were in ginormous resolution. I guess that's how casual reading is going to be.

No multitasking!

Mini 10v
  (#14) Old

Default 01-27-2010, 10:36 PM

I don't think this is going to sell all that well. Obviously the fanboys will lots of disposable income will get one, but other than that it's a niche product.

- It's too big to make a major dent in the iPhone /Ttouch market. It's probably the reason why the 3G prices are so reasonable, to try and get those people to upgrade.

- So far, I don't see it as a viable Kindle replacement. The Kindle's E-ink probably looks better (although I'd need to demo it to be sure), and the battery life is not even close to a Kindle. Lastly, no monthly fees for the Kindle network, so that's a major cost savings over time.

- Does not replace a netbook, or a MBP. The former can multi-task, does flash, works with a most of your current applications, and is cheaper by almost half. The latter is really not significantly more than a higher end iPad and yet does so much more, out of the box.

I also need to look at HP's Tablet offering, to see how it pairs up to the iPad.

---------------------------
Mini 10v A06, MacOS 10.6.8
  (#15) Old
Administrator

Default 01-28-2010, 12:35 AM

I can see it for someone who likes to play games or watch movies on an iPhone or iPod, with the ability to browse the web or send mail with a larger screen. But if I'm going to be carrying something that large, it needs to do more than what Apple tells me I'm allowed to do. I notice that they have dongles for reading camera flash cards, which is nice, though I didn't see any CF adapter and wonder if RAW files will be supported.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 01-28-2010, 01:40 AM

I am an Apple fan to the core, but that does not make me ignorant... I have been a huge advocate of Apple and have used Macs my whole life, but there have been some designs and innovations that just do not make sense.

I am not saying that the "iPad" does not make any sense or is a poor design... but it is focused at a very niche and focused market. It blows all of the competition out of the water in the "eReader" market, which is a positive aspect, and it even takes these sort of tablet device to another level.

I am disappointed in a couple of different things (not that I was going to get an "iPad" anyhow). First of all, Apple continues to blindly criticize netbooks... which I cannot blame them for because netbooks do not really fit into their business model. Imagine a company with notoriously "pricey" hardware releasing a subcompact netbook. These two ideals clash head-on and I feel that this is one reason why Apple is avoiding netbooks. Secondly, I was hoping that the iPad would use a more customized version of Snow Leopard rather than a modified version of the iPhone OS and SDK. I guess the iPhone OS provides a simple UI along with the iPhone SDK and marketplace, but it is also lacking in other areas (mainly MULTITASKING -- what is the point of having this 1GHz Apple CPU if you cannot even multitask). Finally, this may sound picky but I was really hoping for an OLED display and the iPad has an IPS with LED backlight (not bad, but not the best). [and the bezel is too wide, IMO. they couldn't design something where the screen touched up with the edge of the device?? cmon!]

Just my $0.02

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#17) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 01-28-2010, 01:53 AM

Crap.......................

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#18) Old

Default 01-28-2010, 04:12 AM

Engadget had a good list of things that caught their attention....

Apple iPad first hands-on! (update: video!) -- Engadget
  • Quote:
  • It's not light. It feels pretty weighty in your hand.
  • The screen is stunning, and it's 1024 x 768. Feels just like a huge iPhone in your hands.
  • The speed of the CPU is something to be marveled at. It is blazingly fast from what we can tell. Webpages loaded up super fast, and scrolling was without a hiccup. Moving into and out of apps was a breeze. Everything flew.
  • There's no multitasking at all. It's a real disappointment. All this power and very little you can do with it at once. No multitasking means no streaming Pandora when you're working in Pages... you can figure it out. It's a real setback for this device.
  • The ebook implementation is about as close as you can get to reading without a stack of bound paper in your hand. The visual stuff really helps flesh out the experience. It may be just for show, but it counts here.
  • No camera. None, nada. Zip. No video conferencing here folks. Hell, it doesn't have an SMS app!
  • It's running iPhone OS 3.2.
  • The keyboard is good, not great. Not quite as responsive as it looked in the demos.
  • No Flash confirmed. So Hulu is out for you, folks!
I don't see this thing selling that well, even for an eBook reader due to the price (costs about twice as much as a Kindle 2).

DELL Vostro 1720 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL XPS M1330 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL Vostro A90 - 2GB - 64GB SSD - OSX
  (#19) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 01-28-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roebeet View Post
- So far, I don't see it as a viable Kindle replacement. The Kindle's E-ink probably looks better (although I'd need to demo it to be sure), and the battery life is not even close to a Kindle. Lastly, no monthly fees for the Kindle network, so that's a major cost savings over time.
+1. If you're going to read for hours on end, any backlit display is going to hard on your eyes. The Kindle (and other e-ink readers) are the way to go.

Getting an iPad
  (#20) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 01-28-2010, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKR2879 View Post
Engadget had a good list of things that caught their attention....
Engadget is also unbelievably biased and Pro Apple.

------

On top of the other reasons why I would personally not get an iPad... they are not using a standard SIM card, rather a "micro SIM" which is not yet standardized in the US. This means that you would be locked to ATT.

This is not 100% bad, since the ATT partnership seems reasonable... $30 for unlimited data without a contract seems pretty good to me.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides

« Startup Entry - OA012Mon -- Needed? | Dell 10 or 10v? »