General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Default Wacom Bamboo Pen/Touch - 01-26-2010, 12:59 PM

Any of you use this with your Mini? How well does it work?

I just ordered one regardless for use with my regular laptop, but I'm curious as to how well it works with the Mini.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#2) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 01:12 PM

I found your post while searching for clues to why my Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch was not working on my "mecchdrew" 10v 10.6.2. It worked initially when I installed the driver, but I stopped using it to try and make friends with the trackpad, and when I returned to the Tablet it failed. In the Pen Tablet Sys Prefs, it just said "Tablet was not detected at start up". Anyway… I eventually hit upon the "Pen Tablet Utility" in the Wacom folder in Apps, killed the preferences file, and eureka!

Yours is the only mention of Wacom to date. Which is a pity, because from experience, most folk I know who truly give one of these tablets a try never look back. Mice, trackballs, trackpads all seem very crude.

This model is the same size as the 10v, so packs away perfectly in its case, and adds no significant weight.

On my other macs I've always used the Pen rather than Touch. I still feel the pen is the most natural way to work with a computer. Much more dignified than chasing mice across the knee/table and all this touchy-feely-fingering stuff! However, having had to learn trackpadding on the 10v, I've adjusted to the Touch, and with a few tweaks in the settings, I'm almost convinced… when using Touch on the Touchpad or the Tablet, there is a slight delay in the "drop" part of a "drag and drop" - with the Pen it's instant. Maybe more tweaking…

It feels very easy moving from the 10v trackpad to the Tablet. Similar principles and gestures - but on a better scale. For a few quick tasks I just stay with the pad, but if there's anything more to do, plug in the tablet and it suddenly feels very luxurious.

If only Apple had bought Wacom way back, I'd say we'd all be using an "iPen" by now!

Dell Inspiron 10v running 10.6.2, 160GB, 1GB. 3 x Mac Minis.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Nice to see the feedback! I ended up picking up the Bamboo Pen, and I like it overall, but it's going to definitely take some adjustments. I think I could use some more settings for it. But, I bought it specifically for use with Evernote and it works beautifully for it. Going to take some getting used to as a "mouse" though.

I did read up on the Pen/Touch combo, but I'm thinking I'm glad that I went with just the Pen version. I think the Touch version would just get in my way.

I'll have to remember your tip though if I ever try it under OS X on my 10v. Good to know. I haven't decided yet if I will or not though.

Thanks!

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#4) Old

Default 01-31-2010, 01:58 AM

i dont have a wacom bamboo, but i have the wacom intuos 3. playing bejeweled blitz on facebook was a real drag. :/ almost not playable. the tablet itself works though. were there any apps you wanted specific feedback for? i'm sorry i cant give precise feedback since i dont have the bamboo..not sure if it would make much difference though.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

oh, on my prev test with playing bejeweled, my mini was on battery power. i plugged in the AC and it seems to be a little better - though i think it might have been more of a graphics issue. i also just tried the intuos 2 on photoshop cs3 and it seems to work ok. there's an expected delay when making multiple quick successive marks. but i'd rate it an 8/10 in terms of functionability.
  (#5) Old

Default 02-02-2010, 01:15 AM

it runs fine, im using it as my mini-desktop.

Alienware M15x|Black|BT|GT 240m|Intel i5|Windows 7 64-bit|

« 9 or 10v? | Free Netbook Theft Recovery Software »