General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Bluetooth device sharing - 01-22-2010, 11:18 PM

Not a Mini related question, but thought one of the bright minds around here might have a suggestion...

I use a KVM switch to toggle back and forth between two PC's at my desk. (Both run Windows 7 Home Premium.) I've been using a wireless keyboard/mouse set with the KVM switch with no problems. Unfortunately, the keyboard is acting up. I took the opportunity to upgrade and pieced together a Bluetooth set (mini dongle, keyboard, mouse). AFTER I clicked "buy", I realized the KVM switching might not be compatible with Blutooth. Now that the dongle and mouse have arrived, I got to try it out. Indeed, it doesn't seem to work. The pairing doesn't survive the KVM switch (since it is software-based), and the mouse will (obviously) only pair with one BT device at a time (and it sees the same dongle on two different computers as two different devices.)

Any thoughts on whether there is a way to make this work? Or am I trying something that is just not doable?

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 01-23-2010, 03:25 AM

I'm not aware of a solution.

There are BT peripherals that can pair with multiple hosts, but I think they're mostly headsets. And I seem to recall a BT mouse with a special receiver that it could pair with to act as a normal wireless USB mouse. But I don't think there's a general fix.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 01-23-2010, 04:10 AM

Thanks, Reflex. That is what I was afraid of...

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium

« Looking for a decent Media Set-Up | Different Gmail settings on different computers? »