General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Will Mini 9 Car Charger Work? - 01-17-2010, 06:36 AM

Hi, I was wondering which car charger should I use for my Mini 9? I ask cause I saw one for under 10 dollars but I am wondering if it will work.Since Dell adapters usually has a sensor in it. Also dont want to fry my battery or Mini
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 01-17-2010, 03:42 PM

For at least the Mini 9, there is no "sensor". Some here have reported success with the cheap adapters.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 01-17-2010, 08:51 PM

I bought one on ebay for roughly $8 shipped (from a hong kong seller). It had an oval label on it that was marked for an asus netbook. Works fine. I used it for roughly 3 months on a nearly daily basis (until winter came) with no problems. It DOES however get VERY hot.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-17-2010, 09:36 PM

Pablo, one suggestion might be to get a power inverter for your car, it will not only charge your mini, but you could use it for other things like your cellphone, a small portable TV, PS3 type game system etc...just my 0.02..

PS. a 1/2 dcent one will run about $60-$70 but you get many different options with it for charging stuff other than your mini and running other stuff too

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old

Default 01-18-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
Pablo, one suggestion might be to get a power inverter for your car, it will not only charge your mini, but you could use it for other things like your cellphone, a small portable TV, PS3 type game system etc...just my 0.02..

PS. a 1/2 dcent one will run about $60-$70 but you get many different options with it for charging stuff other than your mini and running other stuff too

For THAT kind of money... you might as well buy an emergency car battery jumpstarter box that has both an ac & dc plug..... and use that to power/charge your mini.

examples.... http://newcarbuyingguide.com/index.p...224/event=view

It can be tri-purpose.... jumping your dead car battery in an emergency, providing power for your mini-9 on the road, and providing power in case of a power failure in your home (for small appliances/electronics).

I have one but it doesnt have an ac plug option... just dc, but with car adaptors for minis being so cheap... I just sprung for one on ebay for $8
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-18-2010, 03:11 AM

having AC & DC plugs is NOT the same as having electrical outlets which can be used for almost anything..even an electric razor....

PS. a GOOD car/battery/jumpstart unit will go for anywhere from $200-$300 bucks cheap ones with barely adequate power go for about $80, and after you use it once or twice it needs to be charged again..the good ones last much much longer between charges and delivery much more power at jumpstart..I used to work at a dealership doing roadcalls for our customers and the units we used werent even close to $80, up here in New York during the winter going out on jumpstart calls almost every morning, you cant run back to the dealership in between calls to recharge the unit

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#7) Old

Default 01-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
having AC & DC plugs is NOT the same as having electrical outlets which can be used for almost anything..even an electric razor....

PS. a GOOD car/battery/jumpstart unit will go for anywhere from $200-$300 bucks cheap ones with barely adequate power go for about $80, and after you use it once or twice it needs to be charged again..the good ones last much much longer between charges and delivery much more power at jumpstart..I used to work at a dealership doing roadcalls for our customers and the units we used werent even close to $80, up here in New York during the winter going out on jumpstart calls almost every morning, you cant run back to the dealership in between calls to recharge the unit
I have one that I bought for $70 years ago. It can operate my mini9 for many hours without draining. I also use it in summer to run a fan and small tv. It lasts quite a long time between having to be recharged. I only need to recharge it once or twice a month. I work out of my vehicle quite a bit & use the jumper when my vehicle is parked and I dont want to run my mini9 and fan off my vehicle battery.

Also... if you need to... you can regularly plug in the jumper while driving to charge it. I dont have to do this since I only need to charge it for one day once a month (twice a month at most).

Just saying if one was going to spend $70 .... might as well get something you can use for many purposes (as I listed in my previous post). I am a bit of a frugal person so I am always looking for ways to use what I have multiple ways instead of buying something new

« Dell Is Trying To Cancel My Order | I hate dell »