General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Difference between SSDs? - 01-02-2010, 04:24 AM

Alright, well I was browsing Newegg the other day in anticipation of receiving my Dell Mini 10v (hopefully all goes well this time unlike the last attempt at a Mini 9). I came across 3 different SSDs from OCZ that sparked some thoughts...

Well first is the Vertex. It seems to be the most commonly used 2.5" SSD and has great reviews.

Then there was the Vertex Turbo. Is the extra speed noticeable for the money? Or is it more just to have the "Turbo" sticker on the SSD?

The third one was the OCZ Agility series. From reading I have done elsewhere, I thought this was supposed to be a step down from the Vertex. Its read and write speeds are slower, but it costs more money. Is there a statistic on the Agility that I am missing that makes it worth more money?

Upon reading reviews, I also saw many mentions of aligning the cells. Is this needed? And if it is, what does it entail? I am new to the whole SSD scene, so sorry if these are very basic questions.

Thanks!
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 01-02-2010, 05:54 PM

All you may ever want to know:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48309

Thread here @My Dell Mini:
SSD Performance Boost by Partition Alignment?

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#3) Old

Default 01-02-2010, 07:01 PM

Awesome, thanks! That is exactly what I am looking for. So what I took away from it is that OS X automatically runs on a certain block size that you cannot change, correct? This was planned to be my drive for my hackintosh. Also, it seems that only if there is stuttering is this needed. Am I correct on that too?
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 01-02-2010, 11:05 PM

I doubt that partition alignment issues are responsible for stuttering. That is typically just running out of CPU cycles.

There are many reviews and tests of SSDs out there, but it can get confusing. About the only thing the reviewers generally agree on is that the Intel X25-M is the top choice.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 01-03-2010, 11:06 PM

So I have heard too. However, I am not in the market to spend that much on an SSD right now. The Vertex seems to be a pretty decent drive for a fraction of the cost. I wish I could end up with an Intel, but that isn't looking very likely. I don't need blistering performance, I just need the durability and the right value for my money.
  (#6) Old

Default 01-04-2010, 01:21 AM

From what I have read and seen the Vertex is probably the best buy for the money. Also, from what I read OCZ has some really helpful forums. You may want to visit the OCZ support forums. From what I have heard they are very good. Now with that being said I own 2 SSDs and neither is OCZ. I went with a corsair for my desktop. The pricepoint was better and it now supports TRIM in windows 7. I am also partial to samsung controllers.

Now for my 10v, given the price of the thing and the hardware limitations, I went with a 128gb kingston for 200 bucks with much slower write and read speeds. There is a thread on these forums about the kingston in which I posted my views of putting an SSD in a netbook. In order to save everybody the repetition, in a nutshell having an SSD the reads 200s is overkill for a netbook that can't handle the speed due to bottlenecks and also costs 200 bucks more. Plus the kingston at a read speed of 100 is still far faster than any HD, so you still win. Many people pointed out degredation and yes the kingston is more prone to it due to no TRIM or garbage collection but I reinstall my OS once a year and I don't write much to the SSD in my netbook so I haven't seen much degredation at all. It is still fast as can be. Now if you wanna make sure your maxed on speed and have the extra money go with the Vertex. I chose to save the money being that my 10v only cost me 236 bucks. If I would have put a 128GB Vertex in I would have spent twice as much for the SSD as I did on the netbook. As it stands I spent almost as much on the SSD as the 10v.

A lot of people like to put in low capacity SSDs and the vertex at low capacities is cheaper, but I needed the storage and speed combination and the Kingston for 200 bucks less was a better deal for me.

Now for my high performance desktop I have a high performance corsair and it was worth every penny and that is where you can really see a difference.

Just my 2 cents and if you wanna get bored and read my long drawn out posts about the subject search for kingston SSD here on the forum.
  (#7) Old

Default 01-04-2010, 02:55 AM

Awesome, thanks!

Now I am a lot more comfortable ordering an SSD that isn't the latest greatest fastest thing. I don't plan on using my mini as my main machine, but it would make a nice travel computer that needs the durability of an SSD. That is my main reasoning for wanting one.

But that makes a lot more sense now that you put it that way.

Oh, and I gave it a search and that essentially answered all of my questions.

Thanks so much!
  (#8) Old

Default 01-16-2010, 09:48 AM

can you explain what "bottlenecks" you are referring to? have you done a test on your SSD with one of the ssd testing utilities? what's your max read & write speeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonx View Post
From what I have read and seen the Vertex is probably the best buy for the money. Also, from what I read OCZ has some really helpful forums. You may want to visit the OCZ support forums. From what I have heard they are very good. Now with that being said I own 2 SSDs and neither is OCZ. I went with a corsair for my desktop. The pricepoint was better and it now supports TRIM in windows 7. I am also partial to samsung controllers.

Now for my 10v, given the price of the thing and the hardware limitations, I went with a 128gb kingston for 200 bucks with much slower write and read speeds. There is a thread on these forums about the kingston in which I posted my views of putting an SSD in a netbook. In order to save everybody the repetition, in a nutshell having an SSD the reads 200s is overkill for a netbook that can't handle the speed due to bottlenecks and also costs 200 bucks more. Plus the kingston at a read speed of 100 is still far faster than any HD, so you still win. Many people pointed out degredation and yes the kingston is more prone to it due to no TRIM or garbage collection but I reinstall my OS once a year and I don't write much to the SSD in my netbook so I haven't seen much degredation at all. It is still fast as can be. Now if you wanna make sure your maxed on speed and have the extra money go with the Vertex. I chose to save the money being that my 10v only cost me 236 bucks. If I would have put a 128GB Vertex in I would have spent twice as much for the SSD as I did on the netbook. As it stands I spent almost as much on the SSD as the 10v.

A lot of people like to put in low capacity SSDs and the vertex at low capacities is cheaper, but I needed the storage and speed combination and the Kingston for 200 bucks less was a better deal for me.

Now for my high performance desktop I have a high performance corsair and it was worth every penny and that is where you can really see a difference.

Just my 2 cents and if you wanna get bored and read my long drawn out posts about the subject search for kingston SSD here on the forum.

« mini 1011 vs mini 1012 (just a comparison) | Dell Is Trying To Cancel My Order »