General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Possibly a crazy idea, but... - 12-31-2009, 06:26 AM

Hey all!

As I am getting closer to the purchase of a mini (leaning to the 10v right now because of the 2.5" SATA), a thought popped into my mind.

First off, a little background info. Once my 10v gets here, I plan on using OS X as my main OS on it. However, I do have various windows applications that need to be run and I would like an SSD in it for various reasons including shock resistance and battery life. I was initially going to get a larger SSD and dual boot it with Windows XP so I could access the other programs, but now I came up with another idea but figured before I made myself too happy I would check and see if it would work.

I was wondering if I could remove the HDD that comes standard with it and put it in a 2.5" external dock (like this one: Newegg.com - VANTEC NST-200S2-BK Aluminum 2.5" Black USB 2.0 External Enclosure - External Enclosures) and boot to it and run Windows off of it. That way I could reduce the cost of the rest of the build and possibly get a better SSD than the one I was initially looking at. It would also allow me to use a simpler install method.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Would it run very slowly?

Thanks in advance!
  (#2) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 01:28 PM

I think that would work but it would be very slow to run the OS from. Boot Camp would be a better option I think.

Mini 10v | N270 | OSX 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | 2GB RAM | 160GB | BIOS A05|
Mini 10v | N280 | OSX 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | 1GB RAM | 160GB | BIOS A05|
Dell Mini 10v OSX FAQ
twitter

(#3) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-31-2009, 02:02 PM

I'm confused, your wanting to remove the internal drive and run an OS off a USB external drive?
It ought to work, and ought to run slow, kiss your SATA speeds goodbye to the USB limitations.
I think your logic is a little fuzzy lol.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 12-31-2009, 03:19 PM

Depending on what programs you need to run VMWare Fusion and a VM of Windows XP may work for you. I have one set up and Office runs pretty well.

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 07:34 PM

Alright, makes sense.

My reasoning was that I would only need Windows sometimes, but OS X would be my primary OS. I was going to buy an SSD for OS X and use that internally, but I need XP on occasion and would just boot that from an external dock so that I could get into it without removing the internal drive. I didn't even think about USB limitations versus SATA, so that idea is out of the question now. What I'll probably end up doing is just swapping the drives out whenever I need Windows (its not very often and not very hard, also it saves me some money).

Thanks to all of you for your help!
  (#6) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-31-2009, 07:42 PM

After taking my 10 and 10v apart, but not really looking at with the notion, it may be feasible to turn the hard drive area into a dock of sorts by cutting a slot in the side of the case to slide the HD/SSD in and out to swap. I think the end of the drive is pretty much up against the side of the case.
If you cut it nice and clean you could probably even fashion a door out of the cut out piece.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#7) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birel44 View Post
My reasoning was that I would only need Windows sometimes, but OS X would be my primary OS.
Use Virtual Box and run Win XP as a virtual machine under OSX. It is free and works very well. For what you want to do, it sounds like by far the best solution.

Black Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | 2 GB RAM | 250GB HD | NBI 0.8.3 R5 | 6 Cell Battery | BIOS A06 | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: None
  (#8) Old

Default 01-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Hi,

as the time i made my ssd upgrade, i could boot from my hdd that was before in the 10v via USB Case that was delivered with the new ssd.

The Systemspeed slows down a little in booting from extern. but its not so much, because the N270 isnt so much fast and here you loose the most speed.

To do somethings, or to test a little its a great thing, with the extern extra hdd.

I ve tested that all just with osx.

mini10v | 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSDNOW V-Series | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | A06 | BT:no | WAKEn LEGACYff
  (#9) Old

Default 01-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Windows will not boot from a USB hard drive, it has to be internal because when windows loads its own usb drivers it disconects the drive so the boot will hang / bluescreen. OSX will boot of a usb hard drive and so will linux

~Danny
  (#10) Old

Default 01-02-2010, 04:09 AM

Awesome, thanks guys! That makes perfect sense about the USB drivers and with the external stuff. I think what I'll end up doing is partitioning it so that a very minimal amount is left for XP and the rest formatted FAT32 so I have an external HDD that also works with my OS X boot. Whenever I need XP, I'll just swap the drives out. All great stuff, thanks guys!

« Overpriced a90 | New Dell Mini 10 with N450 »