General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#1) Old

Default Poll: Did you buy a Mini 9 or a Mini 12? - 12-18-2008, 10:38 PM

I'm seeing so much more traffic on the Mini 9 forums, I assume it is outselling the Mini 12 by leaps and bounds, but it seems worth checking.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#2) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Poll: Did you buy a Mini 9 or a Mini 12? - 12-20-2008, 02:54 PM

Probably due to the mini 9 being out for longer and the mini12 really has only just came out in viable configuration (xp/ubuntu)

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Poll: Did you buy a Mini 9 or a Mini 12? - 12-23-2008, 05:06 PM

Cheaper w/ about the same performance in a smaller form factor, can be upgraded to 2GB of RAM using a regular DDR2 stick vs proprietary daughter card limited to 1GB, and until recently you could get the 9 in both Ubuntu and XP which make more sense for a netbook than Vista. And I'm not a Vista hater btw, as I've upgraded all my systems, but when working w/ an Atom rather than a 3.4Ghz quad-core processor, the lower overhead of those OS's is a no-brainer IMO.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Poll: Did you buy a Mini 9 or a Mini 12? - 01-02-2009, 08:32 PM

I got the 9 as it's smaller, cheaper and still does what I need in a portable machine.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#5) Old

Send a message via AIM to The Architect
Default Re: Poll: Did you buy a Mini 9 or a Mini 12? - 01-02-2009, 08:52 PM

The 9 will run OSX, the 12 won't. Thus, I bought a 9... and still eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Black Mini9, 1.3MP WebCam, 64GB RunCore SSD, OS X 10.5.6 via Type11 7.7
Now With not one... but TWO gigs of ram!
BT Coming Soon
Aluminum iMac 2GHz, 2gig, 10.5.6
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Poll: Did you buy a Mini 9 or a Mini 12? - 01-02-2009, 11:25 PM

I like my Mini 12 as it allows to the best of both worlds of the netbook and notebook. Though, I likely get a lot less second looks with the Mini 12 than I would with the Mini 9. Mini 9 has more of a wow factor to it.

In my opinion, the biggest problem with the Mini 12 is that it arrived with Vista and not Ubuntu or XP. Hard to get excited about a device with Vista on it where it takes more than 3 minutes to boot up. I bought mine with Ubuntu!

Dell Mini 12:Black:Ubuntu Linux:80GB PATA HD
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Poll: Did you buy a Mini 9 or a Mini 12? - 01-03-2009, 12:37 AM

For me, compactness was a key point. It would be nice if Dell had put a 10.2 in the mini9. HP did it as their upsize. With some exceptions, the Hp almost got my money, however, with the Dell Outlet I was able to get a refurbished unit, 20% discount and free shipping. The savings, as well as the Dell being well thought out (for the most part) was the final deciding factors for me. I'm please with my decision.

The mini 12 just strikes me as pushing it for what you get.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Poll: Did you buy a Mini 9 or a Mini 12? - 01-05-2009, 12:44 AM

I already have a 12" ibook and really needed something smaller, cheaper, and with relatively same performance as the mini 12. Thus, the mini 9 was my suitor. I am still anxiously awaiting my mini's arrival. I ordered on december 26, so no wonder its taking a while.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Poll: Did you buy a Mini 9 or a Mini 12? - 01-09-2009, 11:12 PM

I've got one of each. Had already bought the Mini12 as a gift for my wife. I was also buying a Studio 15 for my daughter. As she was configuring it, she mentioned that Dell was offering a Mini9 as a special buy-with deal at a steep discount. I hadn't really wanted one. Frankly, the last thing I needed was another laptop. My daily driver is an XPS M1330, and I've got several other laptops all the way back to a Latitude D300XT (build date: May '99) that still churns along fine. But when it worked out that the Mini9 would cost me all of $182 .... what the heck could I do but buy it?

Obviously, at that price, I didn't get all the bells and whistles -- only 8GB drive, no camera -- but I stripped out most of the bloatware, upgraded to 2MB RAM, stuck in a spare a 4GB memory card, and then loaded Portable Firefox and several other programs onto a 2GB flash stick. Even with Zone Alarm and IE7 installed, it's using less than half (3.54 GB) of the HD.

So I'm not sorry I bought it. It's really become quite handy to carry around from room to room.

Only thing I would change is the shiny lid. What is Dell's obsession with shiny lids? Same with my XPS. Has not ONE designer ever used one of these? The lids look awful within minutes after cleaning. Must have been a design decision by a marketing type.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Poll: Did you buy a Mini 9 or a Mini 12? - 01-22-2009, 08:52 PM

9 for me. Perfect size to carry in my messanger bag.

« How to end up typing one handed, the bad way. | Small screen size sometimes a problem »