General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#31) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-24-2009, 02:19 AM

Now that I've seen both sides I have a question. What's with the VGA port? If one of the big features is HD movie playback why can't it run a HD display? HDMI or DVI port is a must to me for a machine that's claiming HD playback. Just IMHO of course

On an unrelated note, I noticed the SD slot seems to have a cover. Wonder if the card sits flush or sticks out halfway like the 10v? (One of the stupidest design decisions ever, again IMHO)

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#32) Old

Default 12-24-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoplinger1 View Post
Now that I've seen both sides I have a question. What's with the VGA port? Just IMHO of course
IMHO)
I for one prefer a VGA, it's just more useful to me than HDMI. But I can see the other side of the argument.

Perhaps you might get HDMI out with the higher-res screen option -a la current mini 10 vs mini 10v.
  (#33) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 12-24-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyRhino View Post
I for one prefer a VGA, it's just more useful to me than HDMI. But I can see the other side of the argument.

Perhaps you might get HDMI out with the higher-res screen option -a la current mini 10 vs mini 10v.
This boils down to digital vs analog. I personally prefer DVI (or HDMI, which is just a marketing feature on a computer because it is the same thing as DVI + audio). Either way, DVI/HDMI would be nice to have instead of VGA because it would allow for digital video out.

This should have no relationship with the type of display you choose because it has nothing to do with the internal display. This has everything to do with the graphics on the machine.

I guess Dell opted for the VGA. I would have liked to see HDMI/DVI. The attraction of HDMI is the fact that all modern TVs accept this connection and have multiple HDMI inputs.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#34) Old

Default 12-24-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post

This should have no relationship with the type of display you choose because it has nothing to do with the internal display.
Yeah, I meant it as more of a higher-price level feature, along with the higher res screen - like Dell often do. (Regardless of the same internal graphics).
  (#35) Old

Default 12-25-2009, 01:09 PM

I like it.
  (#36) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
By the looks of the the GMA3150 is a die shrunken 3100 that has been moved to the CPU, so it looks like a maybe for hackintoshing
And it seems like os x drivers for the broadcom graphic accelerator will be available soon on Google Code : crystalhd-for-osx - Project Hosting on Google Code
  (#37) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayayess1190 View Post
YES! Finally!

Sold my Mini 9 for a larger netbook, one that's easier on my wrists and hands.
Current Machine: 2010 MacBook Pro 13", 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro x64/OS X 10.6.3

And I play with my girlfriend's Mini 10v ^_^.

Interested in using MATLAB on the Mini 10v? Check out my benchmarks!
  (#38) Old

Default 01-04-2010, 07:39 AM

Is this thing fanless? At the 1:00 minute mark of the video, she's saying the model she's holding was fanless, and that model looks exactly like the new mini 10.
  (#39) Old

Default 01-04-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louden View Post
Is this thing fanless? At the 1:00 minute mark of the video, she's saying the model she's holding was fanless, and that model looks exactly like the new mini 10.
Yes. That's the 10.

« Possibly a crazy idea, but... | Mini 10 keeps turning off »