General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Hard Shutdowns on SSD - 12-17-2009, 03:46 AM

Not that I like doing them, but I was wondering if hard shutdowns are as bad for SSDs as they are for HDDs. I can't find anything on this in Google, has anyone heard anything on the topic?
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 12-17-2009, 03:53 AM

I believe the bad thing about sudden power interruptions on a conventional hard drive is that the heads get violently parked in a fraction of a second. Mechanical issues obviously won't apply to a SSD. But I wouldn't be too surprised if some cheap SSDs are vulnerable to data corruption in case of power interruption (due to sloppy/buggy design).

But I've never heard of power interruption being a problem on a SSD in reality.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 12-17-2009, 04:02 PM

yeah the main issue with pulling the plug on a HDD is that the head can damage the disk.

HP HDs have this redeeming feature:

HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection had a system

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#4) Old

Default 12-18-2009, 06:18 PM

On most current drives, including spinning HDDs, the power down issue isn't really an issue anymore. The problem you are more likely to encounter is filesystem corruption due to partial writes at the time of power loss. This can happen with any storage medium, though journaling filesystems will prevent most issues from it. I know Linux ext3 and ext4 are journaled, and OSX is by default. I think NTFS is as well, but I don't remember for sure. FAT based systems are NOT. Whenever possible, use the shutdown command from your OS. It takes a little longer, but it ensures that all the data is written out to the disk before shutting down.
  (#5) Old

Default 12-19-2009, 02:04 PM

If an SSD has to add-write to an already used block it has to read that block, modify it (append the new data), then write it back. This will happen a lot on a nearly full disk. I've seen recommendations to leave a Gig (or several) unformatted so that there are enough unused blocks available.

A power-out during this process can leave the SSD in an inconsistent state, even unbootable/unmountable. I do NO RECOMMEND unplugging power and battery while the machine is still running -- for a while I thought my SSD was failing while in reality it was an EBKAC error made several times during my hardware mods.

« Nokia Booklet 3G | Best Buy - Notebooks vs Netbooks »