General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old
Expert Member

Default SSD usage in a desktop? - 11-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Okay, by far some of the most knowledgeable guys I've seen on SSDs are here, and I was wondering if any of yall have used an SSD in your desktop. I have a higher end/media center computer I built last year, I'm about to go up to W7 and was looking at a WD Velociraptor just for the OS and the few programs I run, but then thought, Hmmm, what about an SSD. It still ought to blow the 10K RPM Raptor drive out of the water. I'd probably get a 64GB or maybe a 128GB drive and keep my current 500GB for storage.
Any thoughts on this to help sway me one way or the other, disk or chip?
The Raptor drive would run about the same as a decent SSD.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 11-29-2009, 04:11 PM

By all means go SSD for the boot volume. All the tests I have seen have shown it makes a significant difference. You can even get inexpensive 40GB SSDs designed as boot drives - use a regular rotating disk for your programs and data.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 12-01-2009, 01:12 AM

I use 2 x OCZ Vertexes in RAID-0 in my desktop. I get some very good sequential reads and writes (over 400+ MB/S read, 350+ MB/S Write).

Before this I had 2 x WD Raptors in RAID-0, and the SSDs pretty much blow it out of the water. Just make sure you get a 2nd generation SSD. I'd recommend an Intel if you can afford it (they are very expensive), or an OCZ Vertex or higher (they are very good performance for the price).
  (#4) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-01-2009, 09:10 PM

Funny you should mention that, I was just looking at this one on NewEgg:
Newegg.com - DANE-ELEC DA-SDM25-80G-N-T-MK 1.8" with 2.5" adapter SSD Migration Kit - Solid State Disks
It is an Intel unit, but is last years model from what the reviews say, but has excellent read times. I'd like to go Intel, but with the price, this is the only one I'd go for.
Otherwise I was looking at this one, or a similar Corsair that had slightly lower read/write times.
https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FTM64GX25H
I have a Super Talent in my 1010 and would by another.

Any thoughts on either? Write speeds I'm not to worried about, any big writes will go to the storage platters.

I'd really like to go for the above Intel, the 80GB capacity is right at what I want for OS and a few programs.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Disregard above, I'm going with this one:
INTEL X25M 80GB SATA 3.0 Gen 2 SSDSA2MH080G2 2.5" SSD - eBay (item 200408273439 end time Dec-19-09 20:45:06 PST)

(#5) Old

Default 12-01-2009, 11:26 PM

Here's the difference in my home PC between my old Raptor and my new Intel X25 Gen2 SSD 80GB. I installed a clean Windows 7 Ultimate on it and am loving it. Large programs load almost instantly.

I'd say it was worth every penny.

DELL Vostro 1720 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL XPS M1330 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL Vostro A90 - 2GB - 64GB SSD - OSX
  (#6) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Wow, awesome! Great to see some actual comparison against the two disks I was considering.
If anyone's interested, the machine is a media center computer, DVR, and I play WOW on it, specs are:
Intel DG45ID MoBo
Quad Q9300
9600GT - might go to GTX 275 or wait a bit and get a GTX-295
8GB Crucial PC2-6400
Vista Ultimate X86 - going to W7P X64
Seagate 500GB Barracuda - going to Intel X25 80GB

(#7) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKR2879 View Post
Here's the difference in my home PC between my old Raptor and my new Intel X25 Gen2 SSD 80GB. I installed a clean Windows 7 Ultimate on it and am loving it. Large programs load almost instantly.

I'd say it was worth every penny.
Great results indeed... but perhaps it might be pointing out to other prospective SSD purchasers that your particular Intel model is actually one of the best (and most expensive!) ones currently available, and a 'bargain basement' model may not show such an impressive set of results.

More information can be found elsewhere, but I think that one of the reasons for its performance is the latest generation controller used, which can also be found in models from companies such as OCZ, for example... and others also I am sure.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#8) Old

Default 12-03-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montala View Post
Great results indeed... but perhaps it might be pointing out to other prospective SSD purchasers that your particular Intel model is actually one of the best (and most expensive!) ones currently available, and a 'bargain basement' model may not show such an impressive set of results.

More information can be found elsewhere, but I think that one of the reasons for its performance is the latest generation controller used, which can also be found in models from companies such as OCZ, for example... and others also I am sure.
Uh, no. In terms of 'bargain basement' SSDs, as long as you buy one that does not have a Jmicron controller, you're fine. Good SSD controllers in the consumer market are Intel, Indilinx and Samsung. The X25-V is a 'bargain basement' SSD, but it's 4kb read/write performance and access times are astounding.

Also, the introduction of the Intel X25-M G2 was what drove SSDs prices down. Moving from 50nm to 34nm chips allowed Intel to sell the G2 cheaper. Certainly, relative to how expensive consumer SSDs were prior to the introduction of the G2, it's really not an expensive SSD at all. There are many SSDs that cost more (but generally perform worse).

And no, the Intel controller is exclusively found on Intel SSDs (and their Kingston re-brands) - these controllers cannot be found on SSDs from other manufacturers, like OCZ.
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-03-2009, 05:01 PM

Sorry... I stand corrected... for some reason I had got it into my head that Intel SSD's used Indilinx controllers.

I wouldn't however be very happy to recommend anything which uses a Samsung controller at the moment though, as they have been shown to be very slow in releasing firmware updates, as many folks who bought OCZ Summit models have found, and are far from happy.

I am a bit of an OCZ Vertex fan myself... and they do have an excellent customer support forum!

It is quickly becoming apparent though that even the latest SSD's feature what is still relatively new technology, and although they are almost certainly the future of 'hard drives', I am sure even better performing, more reliable, and hopefully cheaper models, will soon be available.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#10) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-04-2009, 12:04 AM

So, any real world data in SSD vs 10K or 15K SAS/SCSI?

« New Site! | Dell Support Terrible - AND Where Is My Order? »