General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 12-11-2008, 04:49 PM

First off, I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question. I thought there used to be a section for "other devices/Dell computers, etc", but could not find such a section.

I'm considering diving into my first computer build, and am hoping to get pointed in the right direction for some help.

I would like to do an Atom 330 (dual core) based, small footprint/power consumption unit with DVI out. I know Shuttle has such a system ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JIFXGI?smi ... nkCode=asn ), but want to learn what I can and do it myself.

The DVI output is what I'm stuck on now since the 330 chipset only includes VGA & S-video out. Any suggestions?
I'm assuming there is a forum like this somewhere, but I would appreciate getting pointed to some quality resources.

And mods, feel free to move this thread or close it if it is too far off topic.

Thanks!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 12-11-2008, 07:14 PM

look for an old PCI video card, example-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131082

would boost the video campabilities of the system, but it costs almost as much as the motherboard.

I'm not sure how good a USB to DVI adapter works either, so if you cant find a motherboard that supports DVI out, you probably have to find a PCI video card

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 12-11-2008, 07:54 PM

Of course! Thanks, teeth_03.

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-03-2009, 05:50 PM

I'm reviving this thread with specifics on what I'm finally considering. (Hadn't pursued this in a while.) I'd be a general use desktop (Office, web, e-mail) + possibly random Hulu/Netflix/DVD watching. I want something low power/efficient. I am a big fan of the Atom. Want a discrete video card to take the load off the Atom. Don't need huge hard drive space. Want a smaller case. Below are the components I'm considering @ NewEgg.

I'm looking for any input you might have. Thanks!

Motherboard: Intel Atom 330 (Dual core)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813121359

RAM: Kingston 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820134192

HD: WD 160GB 7200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136075

DVD drive: HP SATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827140030

Video card: PCI Sparkle GeForce 8400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814187041

Case: APEX Mini-ITX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811154093

My biggest concern is whether that video card will fit in the case, but I'm not sure how to confirm that before hand.

I plan on running vLited Vista Home Premium.

Thanks for any feedback!

Jeff

PS Total cost including OEM Vista: $374.43

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#5) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-03-2009, 06:22 PM

Looking at the individual bits, it appears as though the video card should fit - which is why they have standard sizes for cases and cards nowadays anyway...

As for your choice in parts, your shopping list is very close to one potential system I'm building soon. I'm just trying to decide if 250 watts on the power supply is too much. strider_mt2k built a machine that draws only ~50 watts. Very cool.

Please keep us posted on how the project goes!

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-03-2009, 06:29 PM

Thanks, GerallK. I will keep you posted. I agree that 250W is too much for this, but it is more the overall case I'm after; just happens to have that PS. As far as I know, though, it'll only use the power the actual components use, so it'll still be a low power consumption unit. Yes?

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-03-2009, 09:14 PM

You want a power supply which will typically operate the system at 25-75% load. That is where the usual sweet spot of efficiency comes in.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-04-2009, 12:17 AM

I upgraded my Wife's dell Desktop to one of these boards. It's an Inspiron 531s. It had a Athlon 64 x2 in it that was very incompatible with OS X.. This new board runs it exceptionally well. Fit right into the case and plugged into all the existing wires just fine. The power supply is a 250watt that came with the machine. I figured if it was running a crazy power hungry Athlon, which also had a PCI-e video card, it'll be very happy with the new low power Atom setup.

I only had to buy the board, the SATA HDD and DVD-R plugged right in, I swapped a 2gb stick of DDR2 into the new board, and that was all there was to it. Oh, I did have to dremel the back of the case because the accessory ports on the MB don't line up with the ones Dell had, and it's not meant to be an upgradeable case, so they were permanent.. hehe..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-04-2009, 01:36 AM

Una, are you happy with how your upgrade went and how it performs?

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#10) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-04-2009, 05:44 AM

Very happy with how the upgrade went. Performance.. Eh, somehow I thought the dual cores would be radically faster than single.. Honestly, I don't notice a difference. My wife is very happy with the machine, so that's what counts I guess.
BTW, since the Atom CPU has hyperthreading, in the system monitor, it shows 4 CPU's.. Very cool..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED

« Computer Icons | Super Mario etched into Asus EEE »