General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#41) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-20-2009, 11:57 AM

yeah,I got my system together.

I installed windows XP on it because I am a linux n00b. I am currently running a Teamspeak server and a Halo server as a test on my connection (see ZeN Clan #4 Lag Test). Also got TightVNC running to control it over my network.

I have a fan setup for the 5.25" bay, which doubles as a converter to a 3.5" bay as well. So I could actually mount 3 HDDs on it if I wanted to. The problem tho, is the board only has 2 SATA ports. Of course I could get a card for the PCI-E X1 slot, but right now I have a slot fan in it blowing air out the back, and it does a pretty good job as it too. Might wait for 2 TB drives to come out on the market and get a pair of those at some point for file storage.

Overall,I like the system. I think I did good by not getting the Atom, because at some point, I will probably get a nice quad core processor for my desktop PC, which is currently running a E8400 dual core 3.0 ghz (OC atm to 3.8), then transfer that over. I am digging the ITX formfactor, love my lil server

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#42) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM

I received the new ATI video card today ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131082 ) and everything works perfect! Since I got a different model card, I'm not sure if the 8400GS was bad or incompatible somehow. But, the little guys is built and works wonderfully!

I am very pleased with the system: the size & looks, the sound level, the performance, the price. I highly recommend this machine--with the video card addendum.

Thanks for your input!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#43) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-22-2009, 10:09 PM

Congrats, Jeff. I may pick one of those up but it will have to be soon as my disposable income is dwindling. You still using Vista, and are your Win Experience numbers the same as before? Would be cool if there was a topic(instead of just the random thread) on this forum for the few into the small form factor. Might even help other people become interested in it.
I bring it up because there is very little avail. info in one collective place(aside from mini box and Mp3car and you have to DIG through those sites to find helpful info) for prospective users of SFF/Atom PC's. You could put it in the misc. category and we don't take up much space...lol. anyway, hope your system runs tip-top for years to come, kudos.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#44) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-22-2009, 10:27 PM

Thanks, jdizzle. I agree--collected resources would be handy! I only expect this segment to grow. It now has Vista Business on it, and I'll try to get a hold of it to run new Windows Experience numbers. I'll post back with them once I have them.

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#45) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-24-2009, 12:56 PM

-and not one picture! BOOO!

I kid I kid! :mrgreen:
Congrats on getting things up and running!
I know it's been a struggle.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#46) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-24-2009, 02:38 PM

Yeah, no pics, sorry. It's all tucked into the buttoned up case, which is with me no more.

But it was fun! Thanks for the tips and encouragement, everyone.

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#47) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-24-2009, 07:57 PM

Here are pictures of mine. Nice high res shots too..
Dude, you upgraded a Dell.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#48) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-24-2009, 08:55 PM

UPDATED Windows Experience numbers with the ATI HD 2400PRO card:

Processor: 4.3 (unchanged)
RAM: 4.5 (unchanged)
Graphics: 3.2 (down 1 whole point from 8400GS card)
Gaming: 3.8 (down .2 from 8400GS card)
HD: 5.9 (unchanged)

So sure what to make of all that, but apparently when the 8400 card worked, it worked better (I'm not sure I can feel the difference, though).

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#49) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
Nice work re-using the Dell case!

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#50) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-26-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
Nice work re-using the Dell case!
Thanks. I was surprised at how well it went in, all the standoffs lining up, the USB connectors plugged right in (one for the front USB, and one for the multicard reader). The audio plug was the right pin out (but doesn't work in OSX, no big deal to me, my speakers have a headphone jack on them). And I imagine the power supply is hugely happy with the change. It's rather undersized. I just wish I had gotten the Vostro version of this case, it looks very nice in black, and would match my monitor and keyboard/mouse. The goofy white computer stands out against the rest of my equipment. But eh, the Mac Mini I used to have was the same way.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED

« Computer Icons | Super Mario etched into Asus EEE »