General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#21) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-14-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jej.514
As far as the case, it is nice looking, but it is PACKED.
There's a philosophy that states: Unused hardware is wasted money. I'd be surprised if you'd left any spare room under the hood of this little beasty!

Quote:
I am concerned about heat build-up, especially given what I've read about the 330 cooling fan. The video card is all the way on one end, and the heatsinks (no fan) literally are against the computer case. I'm not sure if that is good or bad, but want to figure out how to monitor temps in there (other than touching the case!)
Metal-to-metal contact will conduct heat away from the CPU *much* faster than a passive-radiator set up (metal is a much better conductor than air, after all). Unless you're going to be heating the case externally, I'd leave the cooling system just like it is.

Congrats on your little box!

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#22) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the input, GerallK. I was wondering if the heat-sink against the case would actually help cool. (It makes sense, but my "common sense" has been known to seriously backfire in the past...)

Now...I'd like to build a smaller one using an ITX motherboard with better built in graphics so I can skip the video card. Any thoughts? I'd LOVE a dual-core Atom motherboard with nVidia IGP, but have not found such a beast on the market yet.

Jeff

EDIT: I found the following board that is ITX (small!), has built in nVidia graphics (no PCI card needed!), but is not Atom-friendly. I'll definitely consider it for the next one.
Jetway JNC62K: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813153114

And if I'm patient, ZOTAC (and possibly others) have similar ITX boards coming out. I would still love to see something like this Jetway built for the Atom 330, though.

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#23) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-14-2009, 09:46 PM

I just saw the link to the PCI version of the GeForce 8400.. Thanks! I almost ordered a GF 6200.. At nearly the same price after shipping on eBay. This will definitely be a better option. I didn't realize nVidia had continued to make straight PCI cards that late. Very cool.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#24) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if the heat-sink against the case would actually help cool.
Want to help it cool off? Smear thermal paste on the join between the case and the heatsinks! Yeah, it's messy . . . but effective!

Now you've got me shopping for nVidia PCI cards...

Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
  (#25) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-15-2009, 08:14 PM

Sounding like a very cool system you've put together!

Congrats on the build!

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#26) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-15-2009, 08:40 PM

Thanks all!

After some more use, I'm still very happy with how it performs over all, but I am very disappointed in the video performance. Hulu has pretty severe audio / video sync issues as well as some video tearing. I need to do some more testing of ABC or Netflix to see how well those work. (It could just be a Flash issue.)

I also had considerable driver trouble. (And this might be related to the issue above.) I installed the drivers that came with the card, which worked fine. Windows Update showed a new version, which broke when installed (Aero was gone and there was terrible screen update times.) The Device Manager said the video card was not, um, right. (I forget the exact wording of the problem.) I downloaded the newest drivers from nVidia, and those didn't take properly (one boot they would work, the next they wouldn't--it was literally every other boot.) I tried removing all those drivers to revert to the ones on the CD, but Windows always auto-detects the card and installs drivers before I can tell it which ones. AUGH!!

Tomorrow I'll be installing Vista Business on it (it's going to my church), and will only do the CD drivers and NOT update to any new ones. That should take care of the driver-not-sticking issue, and we'll see what that does for the video performance.

I have also not had a chance to look around online for a solution or suggestions, but if y'all have any, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#27) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-15-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Tomorrow I'll be installing Vista Business on it (it's going to my church), and will only do the CD drivers and NOT update to any new ones. That should take care of the driver-not-sticking issue, and we'll see what that does for the video performance.
You may want to disable automatic updates on the video card driver, too. Some well-meaning parishioner might tell the machine "giddy-up!" and install those crap drivers by mistake.

I've got to say; these threads on mydellmini have me looking HARD at a nice, low-wattage Atom board for my next server box. One day, in the far future, when disposable income visits my account again...

:geek:

(#28) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-15-2009, 11:59 PM

Yeah, doesn't it stink that it takes money to play?

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#29) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-16-2009, 02:58 AM

Hello!

I build a similar atom configuration. Rock solid machine! I tried adding an evga nvidia geforce 6200 video card from newegg and had problems. It loaded and configured in windows just fine. I tried loading it in kubuntu and it just wouldn't take. it wouldn't even boot from the live cd. I tried for 6 hours to get it to configure and wound up reformatting my kubuntu partition( very frustrating!!!). That card is the only rma I have ever had to newegg. Has anyone built one of these and dual booted it??? What video card was used?

This is the first card I tried:
EVGA 128-P1-N309-LX GeForce FX 5200 128MB 64-bit DDR PCI Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130289

I am considering this card:
POWERCOLOR 24PRO256M PCI Radeon HD 2400PRO 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131082

Any Suggestions??
  (#30) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-16-2009, 01:19 PM

I am currently building a mini ITX server out of a Zotac LGA 775 mobo and a Celeron dual core @ 1.6 ghz

those 2 parts together cost $99, about 15 more than the dual core atom. It supports 4 gigs of RAM, and it of course,has a CPU socket for upgradability. Only downside,is that a PCI-E X1 slot is probably more useless than a regular old PCI slot is.

using 1 of the black apex cases off of Newegg,250 watt PS.

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*

« Computer Icons | Super Mario etched into Asus EEE »