General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-04-2009, 06:51 AM

Me too, I got a barebones MSI Nettop with a dual core 330 but I barely notice any difference (eg. websites with flash are still slow to browse, opening and closing windows still sluggish), but I am using Vista with only 1GB RAM... At least I can play 720P video without core-avc codecs...

Netbooked - Netbook News / Reviews
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-04-2009, 06:57 AM

I set up the rig teeth_03 listed in this thread.
With the exception of the GPU, this lil thing is really a lot better than I expected after reading the thousand or so reviews before buying. I yanked the 250 psu out of the case and used a 90w pico psu with a brick. I boot xp and ubuntu on one of the hdd's and tonight I'm going to try windows7 on the other drive.
Sometime next week I should get a 32gb ide ssd and cable from my uncle and I'll mount it in a billet aluminum adapter in the external hhd spot and boot OS's off that with the 2 SATA's for storage. As far as performance, this atom with the 2gb ram does everything I ask it(media server,file server, and I use it to rip DVD's to the HDD.
My neice just used it to put together a movie she made for her film class(its a 30 minute film with the mini 9 as co-star inter cut with 'commercials' for low power pc's). We had to upload the actual footage to my kids computer as I dont have a firewire on the 330 rig. It was all filmed in 780p except for the 'commercials' and my Ulead vid studio 10 handled it fine except when she had 4 firefox windows and her storyboard open in OO Impress it got severely laggy but I Imagine that was a ram issue as nothing has crashed from general use since I built it. My only issue is with that dang hot northbridge and the fact that the tv out on this board is only a screen clone and not independent . sorry for rambling, later-J

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-05-2009, 03:57 AM

Thanks so much for the info, guys. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the plunge with the components I listed in an earlier post. NewEgg is currently out of the Atom 330 (due in this week, I think) and I expect to order the parts once everything is in. Thanks for the tips! I'll post back progress and outcome in case anyone else is interested.

I must say, I'm very curious as to what the discrete video will do for performance (as far as freeing up the CPU).

Thanks!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-05-2009, 04:05 AM

Hey guys. I do have another question. I'm concerned about the fit of the video card in that case. (It looks like the bulge of the heat-sink on the video card might conflict with the top of the case.)

Any other good suggestions of places to at least look at cases? NewEgg (or Tiger Direct) are where I normally get stuff from, but I would like to enlarge my search for a case.

So... suggestions of reputable stores with decent prices & selection?

Thanks.

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-05-2009, 05:04 PM

The card should fit fine, I stuffed the card from my diminsion 4600 into my rig and it worked just fine but I dont need it for what I'm doing. I've also read a lot of forums(mp3car.com) where guys are sticking PCI cards in the slot and no one has metioned a problem with the fit. I'm using the MI-008 case from Apex and it would have room to spare in that case.

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-08-2009, 04:33 AM

Hey guys!

I ordered the parts I listed above from New Egg tonight. Time'll be sparse for a bit, but I'll delve into the build as I can and report back along the way.

Thanks for the suggestions and inspiration, both here and in this thread: check-this-atom-based-system-out-t986s20.html

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#17) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Go for it!

Pics if you can!

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-14-2009, 04:36 AM

I built it! The parts came today, I built it tonight and installed Vista Ultimate. This is VERY preliminary - I haven't been able (time-wise) to do much of anything but to install the drivers that came with everything. Here are my Windows performance scores:

Processor: 4.3
RAM: 4.5
Graphics: 4.2
Gaming Graphics: 4.0
HD: 5.9

I'll run Windows Update (tomorrow) to get the newest of everything and start to see how well things work.

But, so far so good: everything worked upon the first power up.

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#19) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-14-2009, 04:40 PM

You might consider getting the free Windows 7 beta from Microsoft. It's everything Vista is, without the performance hit. The guys in this forum have reported it runs faster than even XP did. I think if you're ok with Vista on this machine (I wouldn't be, I didn't like the performance hit of Vista on my 3GHz Core2Duo), win7 will blow your mind. (I ran Win7 on my 3GHz C2D, if I didn't hate the interface, it would have been great. OSX for me.)

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#20) Old

Default Re: COMPLETED: Help building an Atom 330 system from scratch? - 01-14-2009, 07:57 PM

Well, after a few hours of use, I am impressed. For casual web, e-mail, and Open Office use, I forget I'm using a "low power" system--it multi-tasks and responds very well. Definitely more responsive than my Mini9. I want to toy with it more, then pull the video card to see how that impacts everyday performance. (I have a feeling the video card really frees the CPU to work on processing rather than video, and thus improves performance--at least that was my goal with the video card.)

I have not tried ABC's HD player or Hulu HQ since updating Windows and drivers, so I will report on that performance once I know.

I want to do some research into HD decoding via GPU and what not. This specific machine is not intended for that, but would love to learn this time around so I'm closer to building a small HTPC.

As far as the case, it is nice looking, but it is PACKED. I have every possible slot filled: external 5.25" (DVD), external 3.5" (multi-card reader), internal 3.5" (HDD), PCI (video). I am concerned about heat build-up, especially given what I've read about the 330 cooling fan. The video card is all the way on one end, and the heatsinks (no fan) literally are against the computer case. I'm not sure if that is good or bad, but want to figure out how to monitor temps in there (other than touching the case!)

Thanks, folks! It's good to have some other, um, geeks to discuss this with!

Jeff

Windows 7 Home Premium

« Computer Icons | Super Mario etched into Asus EEE »