General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Buyers remorse??? - 12-11-2008, 07:16 AM

Hello All,

Great, informative forum BTW.

I caught the bug, and couldn't resist the mini 9. Mine is in production as we speak. I bought this for the sole purpose of business travel. I am on the road a minimum of once a month. I have been lugging my trusty Dell 1505 on my trips, not exactly a lightweight PC. I thought the mini 9 would be an ideal solution. However, after browsing this forum, there seems to be a certain lack of reliability with the mini's. I am frequently traveling abroad, and rely heavily on my notebook while away. A SSD failure would be catastrophic, a deal breaker no less if I were to experience one while in a foreign land. I realize that this could happen with the HDD on my 1505, but SSD's seem to have a higher than normal failure rate.

Anybody else use these as their road warriors? I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up on the old fashioned HDD on the 1505 at this point. Are SSD's and/or mini 9's roadworthy?

Thanks
  (#2) Old

Location: Originally Ganinesville, Fl but currently Tokyo, Japan
Default Re: Buyers remorse??? - 12-11-2008, 07:22 AM

The factory DELL ssd is not so prone to failure. The stock ssd in the mini's are quite solid actually. The ones that you see on here that have had failures are the 1st generation aftermarket brand from MDD. Do a little more research on here and you will see what I am speaking of.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Buyers remorse??? - 12-11-2008, 07:35 AM

Thanks Phoenix,
I have a 32GB SSD from MDD on the way. Should I stick with the stock Dell drive? Maybe I'll carry both drives with me for insurance purposes.
  (#4) Old

Location: Originally Ganinesville, Fl but currently Tokyo, Japan
Default Re: Buyers remorse??? - 12-11-2008, 07:47 AM

For safety purposes, it would never hurt to have a clone of your drive and keep it with you on travel. Better safe than sorry right

As for the new drives from MDD. The Runcores are supposed to be pretty good however, there is only one person on this forum that has received theirs already. That would be ChrisUCF99. You can see his thread here. He also has benchmarks of that drive in that thread as well. So in all honesty, I couldn't tell you about the reliability of that particular drive. You might want to post a question to him in that thread or shoot him a pm. Since he has had it for a few days maybe he can clarify a few things for you. But again, like I said, they are supposed to be good drives. Me personally, I would keep both drives with me and run the new Runcore in your machine. That is just me though

Hope that helps
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Buyers remorse??? - 12-11-2008, 04:12 PM

One difference between a failing SSD, if you are unlucky enough to have it happen, and a failing HDD is that obtaining a replacement HDD is likely to be easier as they are far more universal. The idea of carrying the original SSD and one from MDD is probably a very good idea, and could enable you to have a backup ready to go, especially if you don't keep your data on it.

I don't know how much data you will be carrying, but I use a pair of 16GB SDHC cards for data. One is in the machine all the time, the other is a frequently sync'd backup of it, done using a USB SDHC card reader and BeyondCompare.

FWIW, I use Truecrypt on the SDHC cards in case they go missing. I've benchmarked the Truecrypt'd SDHC cards, and the write speed is not far short of the unencrypted STEC SSD, which I found surprising. The read speed is quite a bit lower than the SSD though.

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Buyers remorse??? - 12-11-2008, 05:27 PM

I bought my mini primarily for couch surfing but I have started to take it along on business trips instead of a full-size laptop. When I travel I'm usually accessing content rather than creating it and for the most part that content is accesible to me from any sytem via Outlook Web Acess so a failure isn't as critical to me.

That said, anything I do create gets emailed to me right away as a backup and I also backup to an SD card.

I have to say,the mini is a breeze to travel with. My sense is it's considerably more durable than a regular laptop but even if it was more delicate, it's way less likely to get damaged owing to it's size and weight. I keep it in a padded sleeve and slide it into my briefcase. I hardly notice it and it's with me all the time.

I had stopped travelling with a laptop in recent years because of the hassle and the ability to get most of what I need via blackberry. Having now travelled with the mini a few times, I won't go away again without it.

If nothing else, the ability to kick back at night and hang out with my kids via skype or watch TV from home on the slingbox makes it worthwhile for me.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Buyers remorse??? - 12-11-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix.stu
The factory DELL ssd is not so prone to failure. The stock ssd in the mini's are quite solid actually. The ones that you see on here that have had failures are the 1st generation aftermarket brand from MDD. Do a little more research on here and you will see what I am speaking of.

Actually the SSD failure poll on this forum (somewhere) is for the factory SSDs... Mine failed. I had the 16GB STEC and it went after 2 weeks. I basically got a new mini out of that (after 2 months). Don't worry about it though. The computer is totally road worthy. I have my new on and its been fine since I got it.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Buyers remorse??? - 12-11-2008, 07:32 PM

If you're worried about the SSD failing, you could bring a bootable USB flash drive as a backup. Slower, but easier to deal with, and you could use it for other purposes as well.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Buyers remorse??? - 12-11-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsump
I caught the bug, and couldn't resist the mini 9.
Same here, my refurb just arrive. I don't plan on using mine in any powerful or productive way, just a toy.

With that said I'm not a windows user, and this is the FIRST computer I've ever bought with Windows pre-installed (for the time being... XP will be removed shortly). The initial boot up was slower than... well lets say the setup allowed buyers remorse to set in. 30 minutes later when I was finally able to use the machine everything was nice and snappy... and bliss started to creep in.

Now more towards your point about SDD failure any technology is prone to fail. If your data is important back up & back up the back up. What I would do personally, if I was using XP on my mini for actually work, would be to auto sync my documents folder to a compact flash card that I always keep in the card reader. I would also use Mesh (free is good right) to sync my documents online. I would also want carry a flash drive in my back that could help me quickly recover, albeit in a limited state.

Follow my Mini9 journeys on twitter at twitter.com/riscky
Partition Map Scheme: GUID Partition Table
BIOS: A03
Mini Status: Non-functional; waiting on Dell Service
  (#10) Old

Send a message via ICQ to kancept Send a message via AIM to kancept Send a message via Yahoo to kancept
Default Re: Buyers remorse??? - 12-13-2008, 05:31 AM

I don't know if you'd consider mine "road warrior" use, but I use my Mini9 everyday, all day, pretty much supplanting my MacBook Pro 17". I'm an onsite computer technician, and I use it to configure wireless networks, setup hardware, video chat with base, maintain calendars, voicemail, Gizmo5 (mobile IP telephony), and type up documents. I love the thing, and have modded it (to use the Apple remote) to also give presentations (keynote) to clients for training. I think the only thing I may do is to swap the keyboard out for the Euro one since it'll have all the keys for better typing. I wish they were all the same size so I could Dvorak it, but I make do.

I use a Dell Mini9 with OS X, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, 802.11n Airport card, and IrDA.

My IrDA Mod...

« Memory in Mini 9 | OMG OMG »