General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default I thought that the EPP was supposed to save me money - 11-09-2009, 07:24 AM

Okay, so after looking at a new Mini 10v to purchase, I compared the Educational Purchase Program with buying retail to see how much I'd save. Turns out, unless there's a mistake I actually would save money going w/o the EPP. Although I just noticed that there's a "deal" with EPP. If you find the same laptop on the site for cheaper, you can call them up and get that price. But why, when I can just go buy the cheaper one? lol

Here's the specs on the regular price one:
Quote:
COLOR Obsidian Black
PROCESSOR Intel® Atom Processor® N280 (1.66GHz/667MHz FSB/512K cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition SP3
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft Works 9 DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service
HARD DRIVE 160GB, 2.5inch, 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
BATTERY OPTIONS 56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell)
WIRELESS CARDS Wireless 802.11g (1397) Mini Card
MOBILE BROADBAND No Mobile Broadband Selected
BLUETOOTH OPTIONS Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR

final price: $379
and here's the specs on the EPP one.
Quote:
COLOR Obsidian Black
PROCESSOR Intel® Atom Processor® N280 (1.66GHz/667MHz FSB/512K cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition SP3
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft Works 9 DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service
HARD DRIVE 160GB, 2.5inch, 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
BATTERY OPTIONS 56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell)
WIRELESS CARDS Wireless 802.11g (1397) Mini Card
MOBILE BROADBAND No Mobile Broadband Selected
BLUETOOTH OPTIONS Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR

starting price: $487
instant discount: $68
final price: $419

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 11-09-2009, 01:18 PM

Dell's site and pricing is very confusing/nonsensical. I think that's also one of the reasons why they have frequent pricing mistakes, they end up confusing themselves.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Dell has apparently just revamped the EPP program, so there's no longer a standard 7% discount on most systems. They are offering specific configurations for EPP purchasers, and if you don't want one of those configurations, it seems that you have to go through the regular retail site. I first noticed the changes when I was pricing an Inspiron 11z last week. The only 11z model available through EPP (as of the day I looked, anyway) is the black, pre-configured version that is supposed to ship within 24 hours. Since I wanted to upgrade the processor and make a few other modifications, I would have had to pay regular price and forego the EPP "discount." Unless there is a good pre-Christmas sale, I guess I'm back to waiting for my perfect machine to hit the Outlet during a coupon sale!

There may be other options available through EPP if you call Dell directly, but I haven't attempted that yet. Has anyone placed an EPP order over the phone recently?

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
Okay, so after looking at a new Mini 10v to purchase, I compared the Educational Purchase Program with buying retail to see how much I'd save. Turns out, unless there's a mistake I actually would save money going w/o the EPP. Although I just noticed that there's a "deal" with EPP. If you find the same laptop on the site for cheaper, you can call them up and get that price. But why, when I can just go buy the cheaper one? lol

Here's the specs on the regular price one:
and here's the specs on the EPP one.
Does the EPP one include 15 months of anti-virus or some other kind of software "upgrade"? That might account for some of the difference in price.
  (#4) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 11-09-2009, 09:43 PM

No, neither one came with any sort of software upgrade...

I would go with the outlet, but I the 6-cell battery it's showing as $150.

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  (#5) Old

Default 11-10-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
I would go with the outlet, but I the 6-cell battery it's showing as $150.
You can find 6-cells pre-packed into about half of the refurb units in the outlet. The annoying thing is that you have to look at each item to find out which ones have the 6-cell vs. 3-cell.

And, the pricing in the outlet is as equally without rhyme or reason, so you can be well-rewarded for careful shopping.

As of this typing, $289 will get you an N270 with those specs, but not BT. Drop $20 at ebay and you've added your BT.
  (#6) Old

Default 11-10-2009, 06:22 PM

I picked up a white 10v with BT and 6 cell battery for $279 before coupon a couple of months ago. As hotrodminis said, there are normally a fair number available with the 6 cell battery, but you have to open each one individually to find out which battery it has. Same with BT as far as I know. It's annoying, but I've managed to get a number of good deals that way.

« Win7 question - no fanboys please | dell mini 10v »