General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default XP SP3 vs Win 7 in daily use on Dual Boot Mini - 11-07-2009, 02:09 AM

So here I sit, anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new Mini 10v, and I'm pondering its eventual configuration. I have never used Win 7 before, and have existed solely on XP and Leopard (my real Mac is PPC.) Should I make my Mini dual boot Win7 and OSX or WinXP and OSX?

Are there compatibility or speed issues I should consider? I've got my 2GB RAM upgrade waiting, as well as a Mini 10 trackpad on the way for retrofit. The 10v I got is the Nickelodeon Edition with a 6-cell battery upgrade, and no BT.

Why the Nick edition? Quite simple, really. There are no Nick logos or characters on it, just a white mini with a wicked splash of slime! Can you say Ghostbusters? I can;t wait to start modding it up!
  (#2) Old

Default 11-07-2009, 02:14 AM

I would suggest you install it with whatever OS you will be most happy with just doing the chat/email/pics/music/streaming of video..etc.

I use mine as a portable internet device, with occasional need for office apps. I threw OSX SL on their because of the small footprint of the OS and the social WOW factor.

I go to my quad-core and dual-core laptop/workstation when I need to do the heavy lifting...and 90% of the time its an XP install I'm in because of the work applications I'm use to.

Mini 10v
  (#3) Old

Default 11-07-2009, 02:53 AM

i run snow leopard and windows 7 on my 10v. 7 runs surprisingly well. it installs off a usb drive easily too. if you already have XP on another system, i'd give it a shot especially if you haven't tried it before. it's pretty too.
  (#4) Old

Default 11-07-2009, 08:12 AM

I'd like to try 7. I skipped vista because I haven't updated my desktop since 2005, and its still running XP XP2. I also have an out of date Mac, and I'd like to get my feet wet in some recnt technology. What kind of overhead doea 7 have over XP? Will it eat a bunch of CPU and GPU time just to run?
  (#5) Old

Default 11-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Because of the way it's been written, Windows 7 is a lot more responsive than Vista was, despite being based on the same kernel. When I first started using Windows 7, I told people it was faster than XP. This isn't strictly true--on paper it's slightly slower, but the UI enhancements in 7 make it feel more responsive and snappy in daily use. I'd say definitely choose 7 over XP, because XP is 8 years old, distinctly long in the tooth, and Windows 7 is Microsoft's best OS release to date!

Red 16GB Dell Mini 9 - Windows 7 Professional, 2GB RAM, 32GB SDHC, Bluetooth

Add me on: Twitter/Last.fm/Flickr/Facebook

(#6) Old

Default 11-07-2009, 10:17 AM

Hi there.

I have a dual boot XP / WIN 7 on my Mini 9 and tend to use WIN 7 most times as it is, well, 'nicer', I suppose! I have retained XP simply because I need to use some accounting software for work and it will only install on XP - not Vista or WIN 7. In addition, the scanning software for my Canon PSC printer works better on XP than WIN 7 - again I only use this occasionally. The XP is rock solid but I had an occasional BSOD with the WIN 7 until I updated some drivers - they are both rock solid now.

In terms of speed (and this is based on subjective opinion of my typical daily use), XP is a bit faster but there is not a lot in it. My Mini 9 was an Outlet model that I purchased in March - it came with Ubuntu which, in spite of much re-installing and tweaking, was not satisfactory because of persistent wireless dropouts and intermittent loss of bluetooth.

Overall, I am very pleased with my dual boot, but if I didn't need XP, I would probably use WIN 7 only.

(#7) Old

Default 11-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Does anyone have a way to triple boot OSX, 7, and XP? I could give XP a few GBs just to exist, in case I have software compatibility problems. If I had to guess, it would be like setting up the X/7/Linux triple boot, only repeating the Win7 part twice. Is that accurate?
  (#8) Old

Default 11-07-2009, 06:19 PM

I'm testing two Mini 9's right now, one with OS X and one with Win 7 HP. SUrprised to say that the Win 7 configuration is every bit as fast as the original XP (and yes, that may only be a perceived snappiness and not a true benchmark advantage), and holds its own on overall system performance to the OS X model as well. Maybe the Windows tortoise is catching up to the OS X hare?

Dell Mini 9/2gb/128gb ST/Win7 Speed Demon
  (#9) Old

Default My two cents - 11-08-2009, 04:39 PM

Isn't it funny that OSX is the choice for both configs?
I recomend Windows 7. XP is an old OS and is no longer supported. Windows 7 works very well on my Mini 10v. I have no issues and I really like the features of this new OS. The decision is yours, of course. Good luck with it.

« Mini 10v Keyboard and Aftermarket SSD Questions | Win7 question - no fanboys please »