General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Chance of Dell with ION? - 11-02-2009, 06:05 AM

I'm interested in getting a netbook; just generally to view PDFs, sometimes type out notes (using it for school). I know for what I'm dong, I don't need the performance, but any ideas/educated guesses on when Dell might release a Mini with ION? HP has a pretty good one, but for a few things I do, I need to install OS X on it, and generally Dell's been better for hackintoshing, so I'd rather wait a bit.

What does everyone think? Thanks!
  (#2) Old

Default 11-02-2009, 02:55 PM

The GMA cards will render PDFs with no problem.
Heck -- the GMA cards can view Xvid and Divx movies with no problems (just as a point of reference). I haven't gotten them to play full blown .VOB and Blue Ray without choking.....but they come close. Besides the obvious gaming benefits, I think that's where the ION would come in handy.

I'm actually curious about this myself. A 9"/10" Dell netbook with a serious GPU would be sweet. I wonder if they will ever do this.......or will they do the same as the others so far, and build big 11"-12" Models? The ones I've seen (like that HP mini 311) seem more like notebooks than netbooks.

Dell Mini 10v
1 gig ram
GMA 950 video
  (#3) Old

Default 11-02-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smug sapien View Post
Heck -- the GMA cards can view Xvid and Divx movies with no problems (just as a point of reference). I haven't gotten them to play full blown .VOB and Blue Ray without choking.....but they come close. Besides the obvious gaming benefits, I think that's where the ION would come in handy.

I'm actually curious about this myself. A 9"/10" Dell netbook with a serious GPU would be sweet. I wonder if they will ever do this.......or will they do the same as the others so far, and build big 11"-12" Models? The ones I've seen (like that HP mini 311) seem more like notebooks than netbooks.
I understand I don't need the ION for what I'm doing, but I would be potentially interested in using this computer during travel as well, being able to watch some HD content on it would be nice. And I'd like it to be more future proof if possible.

Like you, the main problem I have with the HP is the size. At 12-inches, I'd much keep my 13-inch MBP or go for a refurbished MacBook Air. I don't mind the increase in price; I just want the most portability/performance balance, favoring the portable side.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 11-03-2009, 12:04 AM

Future Intel processors will supposedly have better graphics. ION isn't the only game.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 11-05-2009, 11:22 PM

I seriously doubt ION will make an appearance in many future netbooks. (They'll raise the price of them I'm sure if they do). It's harder to sell mid to high range devices when a low range devices do the equivalent at 1/2 the cost.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#6) Old

Default 11-06-2009, 02:59 AM

The HP 311 has Ion with an 11.x" screen and is only $399. The 11z is similar but has much poorer graphics performance and a slightly better processor, but costs more.
  (#7) Old

Default 11-11-2009, 10:11 PM

Ion is useless unless you plan to game or do video encoding. And if you plan to game or encode video on a netbook...well, good luck with that.

Point of reference: Ion is much more powerful than the Intel X4500 integrated graphics found in full-fledged notebooks and Dell's Mini 11z. The X4500 can handle 1080P bluray easy. Consider also that Intel's integrated consumes less power than Ion.

Therefore, there is no point in stepping up to Ion (which increases cost and decreases battery life) unless you plan to seriously game...like Call of Duty MW.

And if you do plan to answer the Call of Duty on a netbook, consider that it is, in fact, a netbook.
  (#8) Old

Default 11-13-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smug sapien View Post

Ditto that. If I wanted another dell notebook I'd buy one. I think the "performance" mini market isn't where Dell wants to be. I would certainly jump in and buy a replacement for my mini 9 if they had an ion offering in a 9 or 10. I use my mini 9 for just about everything except some really heavy lifting. I've installed an entire Cisco network (bunch of 3800,7600, 6509 and 2900) from my mini. Its a great little machine for tech support. I would like to do some casual gaming once in awhile while on the road though. With the ion its completely possible. I'll even pay the premium for the extra video horsepower.
Since my other laptop is a e1705 ( or an ancient c600) I'll stick with my new travel buddy. Until something better arrives on the market

Hers:Pink Mini 9|2GB|8GB SSD|16GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|XP Home
Mine:Black Mini 9|2GB|32GB Runcore|32GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|Kubuntu 10.10
Future Mods 64GB Runcore - BT Headphones
  (#9) Old

Send a message via AIM to erikistired Send a message via MSN to erikistired Send a message via Yahoo to erikistired
Default 11-21-2009, 04:37 PM

can you hackintosh the ion chipset? if you want to run os x i'd pick up a 10v.

Mini 10v | N270 | Windows 7 | 2GB | 500GB | BIOS A06
  (#10) Old

Default 11-23-2009, 04:32 PM

Hey guys, I know this is kinda not the topic, but I did just purchase a nettop box called the Acer Aspire Revo.

It has a ION chipset.
Wow.
It is extremely impressive for a $200 device!

I am really hoping Dell decides to put one of these in. To explain it this way, imagine newer 3D games or HD fully playable on a netbook. 10.1 flash rules!

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC

« Can I hackint0sh these? | Google Voice invites? »