General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#11) Old
Administrator

Default 11-11-2009, 04:58 PM

Larger drives cost more per GB but also perform better due to more write channels. My choice would be to pay the premium for the 64GB drive (if we're talking netbooks.) For my purposes, a 128GB drive would be a waste. Buy the biggest drive you can afford.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#12) Old

Default 11-11-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKR2879 View Post
My A90 has a 64GB RunCore.

My home gaming PC has an 80GB Intel SSD 2nd Generation.

You can have my Intel SSD when you pry it from my cold dead hands. The thing is bloody wonderful.

I expect to be moving to mostly SSD storage by March of 2010, and possibly setting up a NAS with all SSD's in it.

This assumes I get back into a job within the next month or so before I fall behind on bills.
I agree on the Intel... I am waiting for the Intel prices to come down, and I am slapping one of those in PDQ.

As far as using SSD for NAS, I would be weary at this point. I would want more experience with SSD's before trusting them that much. Just me though.
  (#13) Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-11-2009, 06:06 PM

Firstly, a big thank you those those of you who voted in my poll, although I do realise that it was perhaps a bit too widespread... and I am sorry for leaving out Super Talent, but it is not a brand I am familiar with.

At the moment I think I agree with Steve, in that a 64GB drive is the most cost effective netbook option. I did in fact buy a 32GB one myself first, but almost immediately returned it for a 64GB replacement.

A word of warning though... some of the cheaper 'first generation' higher capacity SSD's can be false economy, and can perform even worse than the 'standard' drive they are replacing. I know that RunCore do advertise on MyDellMini, (and might even sponsor it!), so am not sure if we are encouraged to discuss other manufacturers products and support etc.

However, in my personal opinion, (so far as customer support is concerned anyway), one brand in particular stands head and shoulders above most others, and has a very active, and pro-active, forum, with a dedicated and enthusiastic band of company staff behind it.

Their products have received some pretty good reviews also!

Hint: Look for the shortest name in my list!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#14) Old

Default 11-11-2009, 06:12 PM

A SSD uses almost same power as a modern 2,5inch drive. So there is not really a reason to change to a much more expensive drive untill you want to use it like a ruggedized Laptop.

Starmanager
  (#15) Old
Administrator

Default 11-11-2009, 07:46 PM

SSDs are not really appropriate for a NAS - at least not in the current state of things. With a NAS you don't tend to do a lot of random reads and writes, and a rotating disk is much more cost-effective. Maybe someday.

SSDs use less power on average than even a 2.5" drive. Yes, their peak usage can be as high, but they draw that much less often than a rotating disk.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#16) Old

Default 11-11-2009, 08:34 PM

Guess I'm going to need an intervention to kick this habit - testing two Mini 9's: 64gb Runcore with OS X; 128gb Super Talent with Win 7 Home Prem. All I can say for sure is:

KILL THE SPINNING PLATTERS AND BRING ON BIGGER SSD's! These two units flat fly despite the wimpy Atom processors and 2gb ram. In fact, if I were King, I'd order that ALL notebooks must have a PCIe slot for a 64gb SSD with the OS and applications, regardless what the primary drive is. In fact, I would kill for a Thinkpad x61s with the SSD and a 500gb 7200rpm HD in the 2.5" slot.

Dell Mini 9/2gb/128gb ST/Win7 Speed Demon
  (#17) Old
Guru

Default 11-12-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
...In fact, if I were King, I'd order that ALL notebooks must have a PCIe slot for a 64gb SSD with the OS and applications, regardless what the primary drive is. In fact, I would kill for a Thinkpad x61s with the SSD and a 500gb 7200rpm HD in the 2.5" slot.
I share the dream of a world where fullsize notebooks have two drive bays. A tiny SSD bay and a large HDD bay. But I think the most promising format for a physically small SSD is CFast (basically SATA CompactFlash).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« dell mini 10v | Going back to school - How do you use your Mini? »