General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#1) Old

Default Windows 7 is a great product, but give me OS X any day - 10-31-2009, 02:42 PM

Just installed Windows 7 on my 10v to have a tinker with (been using OS X since 2005), anyhow I am REALLY impressed with microsoft's latest offering.

However within a few hours of using it I started to get that itch, which was only relived when booting back into Snow Leopard

My verdict: If you have been a windows user, Win7 is fantastic! Ran perfectly smoothly on both my Samsung NC10 (1GB Ram) as well as my 10v (2GB Ram) and I couldn't really fault the performance on our little netbooks.

However I am still an OS X fan and I will keep using Snow Leopard on my 10v. Funnily enough it felt "weird" using my 10v as anything other than a hackintosh (I didn't even boot into XP when I unboxed it I ripped this machine apart to do the RAM upgrade and slapped 10.6 on straight away.

Great toys *cough* I mean "work/business tools" we have here
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 10-31-2009, 03:48 PM

You should see a doctor about that itch.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 10-31-2009, 09:02 PM

And I feel the opposite. I'm familiar with Windows, not with Mac OS. I have used OS X a few times. I added OS X to my Mini 9 and have played with it, but nothing jumps out at me as oh-wow-wonderful. It's all a matter of where you're coming from and what you are familiar with. I know people get attached to operating systems - I still miss VMS - but "different strokes for different folks".

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 10-31-2009, 09:47 PM

To each his own definitely. In fact I have just installed Win7 on my girlfriend and sisters pc's it's right up their ally. My mom is still a solid OS X convert hehe
  (#5) Old

Default 11-02-2009, 03:20 AM

I'm pretty much a OS X fanboy, but there's two things that drives me absolutely bananas:

The Apple-made applications don't have keyboard shortcuts for the confirmation pop-ups (I know they're called something else specifically, but the word is avoiding me at the moment). For example, in Text Edit, when closing a window it'll ask you whether or not you want to save, cancel, or don't save. You actually have to send your mouse cursor over there and click on one of the options!

How annoying!

Would it be THAT hard to simply code the damn thing so that hitting "d" for "don't save" does the trick to save me the hassle of bringing my hand back to the mouse to manually click on the button? That drives me crazy.

And the second one: in Safari you can hit the delete button to navigate backwards, but in Finder hitting the delete button does nothing. Why not program it to navigate backwards? What - it would be too much like Windows? It would be too convenient?

Gah. I love me some Snow Leopard - but these two things annoy me to no end.

Oh - and one more, which I remembered after typing the word "end" above:

I HATE THE WAY THE "END" BUTTON WORKS! What happens more often:

1 - You'd like to move your cursor to the end of a line of text...

2 - You'd like to move your cursor to the absolute end of the body of text you're working on.

I don't know anyone who would say option 2. Yet Apple seems to think that 2 is the better option. Or maybe having it work the way Windows does would be too convenient.

Meh.
  (#6) Old

Send a message via AIM to aront
Default Keyboard navigation - 11-29-2009, 03:33 PM

I'm sure this is too late as this thread looks pretty empty, but I thought I'd add my $.02 regarding navigating with the keyboard in OS X.

If you open up System Preferences and click on the Keyboard icon, you will see below under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. Select the option to press Tab to to move keyboard focus between "All controls."

http://grab.by/Ry5

Also, in Finder, if you want to go up a directory simply press: Command-Up arrow

If you want to go down (into) a directory press: Command-Down arrow
  (#7) Old

Default 11-29-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willxiv View Post
And the second one: in Safari you can hit the delete button to navigate backwards, but in Finder hitting the delete button does nothing. Why not program it to navigate backwards? What - it would be too much like Windows? It would be too convenient?
My gawd I hope that never happens. I'm not a fan of them selecting the delete key in Safari as the page back button, but to use it in Finder as a back page key is a terrible design idea and very counter intuitive. The Finder deals with file hierarchies, a delete key if used should be for deleting files. If Windows does this it was a poor choice too and they probably just stick with it for legacy reasons because people have gotten use to it.

IMHO sometimes MS holds on too much to legacy ideas and needs to be bold enough to fix some of them. Not sure what they are afraid of, they control the market, people will complain but they will get use to the change. Not like they will jump to Linux or OS X because MS changed some keystrokes.

Like aront said there are keyboard equivalents to most things.

The one thing about OS X is that there is a lot of functionality that is there but it's often hidden or Apple doesn't always highlight many of them. Things such as customizing the toolbar, especially in Finder. Adding a pull-down for the current path hierarchy or even adding any folder you want to the toolbar. (Like favourites) Unless someone tells you or you read it somewhere you often miss out on some hidden gems/shortcuts, etc.
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 11-30-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
And I feel the opposite. I'm familiar with Windows, not with Mac OS. I have used OS X a few times. I added OS X to my Mini 9 and have played with it, but nothing jumps out at me as oh-wow-wonderful. It's all a matter of where you're coming from and what you are familiar with. I know people get attached to operating systems - I still miss VMS - but "different strokes for different folks".
talk about VMS, bet you never heard of PICK...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#9) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 11-30-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willxiv View Post
I'm pretty much a OS X fanboy, but there's two things that drives me absolutely bananas:

The Apple-made applications don't have keyboard shortcuts for the confirmation pop-ups (I know they're called something else specifically, but the word is avoiding me at the moment). For example, in Text Edit, when closing a window it'll ask you whether or not you want to save, cancel, or don't save. You actually have to send your mouse cursor over there and click on one of the options!

How annoying!

Would it be THAT hard to simply code the damn thing so that hitting "d" for "don't save" does the trick to save me the hassle of bringing my hand back to the mouse to manually click on the button? That drives me crazy.
I've never been able to just hit "d" for don't save...I always had to hit either CTRL + D or ALT + D

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  (#10) Old

Default 11-30-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post
My gawd I hope that never happens. I'm not a fan of them selecting the delete key in Safari as the page back button, but to use it in Finder as a back page key is a terrible design idea and very counter intuitive. The Finder deals with file hierarchies, a delete key if used should be for deleting files. If Windows does this it was a poor choice too and they probably just stick with it for legacy reasons because people have gotten use to it.
In Windows Explorer when you hit backspace it works like hitting the back button. When you press the delete button, it askes if you want to delete the files you have highlighted, I use the delete button to do this all the time. (shift+delete to skip the recycle bin)

edit: I don't use OSX a lot, but Finder is the main file manager right? And the delete key doesn't delete files? How are you supposed to do that then? Right click and del... no, not that. Do you have drag it to the trash every time you want to delete something?

Dell Mini 9:
64gb SuperTalent Double Wide | 2gb RAM | eBay bluetooth | Windows 7

« Dell Studio XPS 16 Hackintoshable? | New Site! »