General Discussion General discussion on...anything!

(#11) Old

Default 11-30-2009, 08:23 AM

Ever make the jump between MS Office 2003 and 2007? They did just that, jumping from menus to "the ribbon" -- with no means of sticking with what you know. VERY frustrating.

There's "being bold" and there's being unusable. I HATE the ribbon and wish they had never even mentioned it, much less used it. So, yeah. It looks like I'm on Open Office or something else from here on. I spent 8 years learning and using the menu system, and I still can't find everything I need under the ribbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post
IMHO sometimes MS holds on too much to legacy ideas and needs to be bold enough to fix some of them. Not sure what they are afraid of, they control the market, people will complain but they will get use to the change. Not like they will jump to Linux or OS X because MS changed some keystrokes.

Charcoal Black Latitude 2100: 160 GB HD, 2 GB Ram, 1510 Wifi, Bluetooth, Webcam & 1024x576 touch screen -- Dual Boot XP / 7
  (#12) Old

Default 11-30-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psygnosis View Post
Do you have drag it to the trash every time you want to delete something?
And it doesn't ask you whether you really meant to, or it was just a slip of the mouse
  (#13) Old
Administrator

Default 11-30-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
talk about VMS, bet you never heard of PICK...
You'd lose. I've heard of PICK, but never used it. I was a developer on VMS for DEC for 20+ years.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#14) Old

Default 11-30-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslacker View Post
Ever make the jump between MS Office 2003 and 2007? They did just that, jumping from menus to "the ribbon" -- with no means of sticking with what you know. VERY frustrating.

There's "being bold" and there's being unusable. I HATE the ribbon and wish they had never even mentioned it, much less used it. So, yeah. It looks like I'm on Open Office or something else from here on. I spent 8 years learning and using the menu system, and I still can't find everything I need under the ribbon.
I have to disagree, the main reason for the switch to the ribbon was to make the options that were in the menus easier to find and quicker to use e.g. inserting a picture:

Office XP/2003:

1. Click on Insert Menu
2. Point to Picture
3. Click "from file"

Office 2007/2010:

1. Click the Insert tab
2. Click on Picture

Sure, it's only one less click and there are other, longer, examples but this just highlights what the ribbon is for. I know it takes time to learn what ribbon the commands are on but it's a much more intuitive interface.

I also find that i'm more productive on Office 2007/2010 than I ever was on Office XP/2003, primarily because I can get on with my work, and not spend half an hour or more looking for one command in the menus or on the toolbar.

Dell Mini 10 - Intel Atom Z530@1.6Ghz, 1Gb DDR2, Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, Dell HD Display@1366x768, Integrated Bluetooth 2.1, 802.11a/g/n, 6-Cell Battery, Jolicloud 1.1
  (#15) Old

Default 12-02-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willxiv View Post

Would it be THAT hard to simply code the damn thing so that hitting "d" for "don't save" does the trick to save me the hassle of bringing my hand back to the mouse to manually click on the button? That drives me crazy.
Command-D will select "Don't save". Command-. (that's a period) will select "Cancel", and Enter/Return will select "Save".

I usually use my thumb on the Command key - you can quickly hit the other buttons that way.
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
You'd lose. I've heard of PICK, but never used it. I was a developer on VMS for DEC for 20+ years.
... and there's us all thinking that you are a young man!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN

« Dell Studio XPS 16 Hackintoshable? | New Site! »